Sanderus catalogue

Antique map with two bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenberg: Lebrija & Settenil de las Bodegas

Item number:24018
Category:Antique maps > europe > spain and portugal
Price: 300 Euro ($333 / £264)
Add to shoppingcart

Le Brixa [on sheet with] Settenil - Braun & Hogenberg, 1599.


Antique map with two bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenberg: Lebrija & Settenil de las Bodegas, engraved after Georg Hoefnagel who made the drawings in 1564.

LEBRIJA

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Lebrija is a charmingly situated town with a very old castle surrounded by farmland. Lebrija possesses its good name for this reason, above all things for its delicious oils that are sent from here all the way to India. In addition various sorts of earthenware are produced here, and indeed large ones, called enagias, but also numerous small ones, called otigias, and in them the oil is sent to the ends of the earth."

At the foot of a vast, ruined castle lies the Andalusian town of Lebrija nestling in a hilly countryside. The lateral view from the northwest depicts a jumble of tightly packed houses, to the right of which the tower of the church of Santa Maria de la Oliva, once a mosque, can be made out just above some olive trees. On the hill in the foreground lie two enormous clay jugs used to hold olive oil. The founding of the city goes back to the Phoenicians, despite a myth claiming that the god Bacchus was its founder. Called Nebrissa Veneria under the Romans, Lebrija fell under Moorish rule in the early 8th century, but was won back by the Castilian king in 1249, in the course of the Reconquista.

SETENIL DE LAS BODEGAS

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Setenil is a Spanish town on a mountain with a wonderful location on the road leading from Jerez de la Frontera to Malaga. It has more houses in underground caves, hewn into the roch, than houses rising above ground. Its farmland, as is usual in the mountains, is hard and full of stones, so that it can't be tilled with the plough; instead the inhabitants keep all kinds of animals."

Setenil de las Bodegas is an Andalusian mountain village that is directly built into the cliffs hollowed out by the River Guadalporcun. The main road, called the "cave road", runs up the mountain through a small gorge in the centre. Two buildings rise above the sea of roofs; in the centre the ruin of a Moorish castle from the 12th century and, further right, the massive Gothic parish church. The name Setenil derives from the Latin septem nihil and refers to the fact that the Moors were conquered in 1485 after as many as seven unsuccessful attempts. Today the town with 3,000 inhabitants lies on the popular Pueblos Blanchos ("White Villages") tourist route.

Date of the first edition: 1581
Date of this map: 1599

Copper engraving
Size: 32 x 41cm (12.5 x 16 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 2238, State 1; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.208.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum. . Liber tertius. Köln, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Koeman, B&H3)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.