Sanderus catalogue

Antique map with trhee bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenberg: 's Hertogenbosch, Leuven (Louvain) and Mechelen

Item number:23224
Category:Antique maps > europe > Netherlands - Cities
Price: 1300 Euro ($1456 / £1157)
Add to shoppingcart

Tshertogenbosch - Buscumducis oppidum ludo Literario, ... [on sheet with] Loeven - Lovanium Perantiqua Brabantiae urbs ... [and] Machelen - Nitidissimae Civitatis Mechlin ... - Braun & Hogenberg, 1599.


Antique map with trhee bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenberg: 's Hertogenbosch, Leuven (Louvain) and Mechelen.

'S-HERTOGENBOSCH

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT (on verso): The town of 's Hertogenbosch is known for its school and its belligerent populace, who raised their weapons more than once in the past against the people of Guelders. Here stands a magnificent church of Our Lady (Hadrianus Barlandus).

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "'s-Hertogenbosch takes its name from the woods and "bushes" that this place formerly possessed at the time of the Duke of Brabant; it is considered one of the four noblest towns in all of Brabant; it has a school, a large number of inhabitants and solid buildings and is considered important and noble on account of its valiant people. There is also a richly decorated church with a splendid clock here."

's-Hertogenbosch was granted a municipal charter in 1185 and in the late Middle Ages it was a market centre for farmers from the surrounding region, who traded here in linen spun from flax and cloth woven from wool. Besides having been a centre of the cloth industry, 's-Hertogenbosch was a distribution point for wine, fish and sandstone, and was of cultural significance: the painter Hieronymus Bosch lived and worked here and the humanist Georgius Macropedius, really Joris van Lanckfelt, was a teacher at the Latin school in 's-Hertogenbosch. Situated on a sandy ridge in the middle of marshes and strongly fortified, this strategically important city was for a long time considered impregnable. The Dutch Revolt in the 16th century put an end to the economic prosperity it enjoyed in the late Middle Ages. (Taschen)

LEUVEN (LOUVAIN)

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT (on verso): Louvain is a very old city in Brabant, which before Julius Caesar was a small town surrounded by walls and was subsequently expanded to such an extent that the town now has a circumference of four Italian miles. This has been encouraged by the location and good healthy air of the city, which is also notably embellished by the magnificent church of St Peter's, the fine town hall, the very tall school, the plentiful waters of the River Dijle and finally the old castle built by Julius Caesar.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Louvain is the capital of Brabant; it possesses a university whose student numbers are no less than Paris; it is a daughter of the University of Cologne, but has grown clearly larger than its mother. Along the rampart in the direction of Mechelen lies a very old castle, which served for the entertainment of the princes and for the administration of the citizens. Opposite it on the right is a castle with a very tall tower, from where on a clear day you can see for eight miles, as far as Antwerp; this tower is commonly known as "Lost Fare"."

This engraving shows the Belgian city of Louvain in side view, set within a hilly landscape and surrounded by an extensive city wall. On a grassy slope on the left stands the castle (Borcht); below it, further left again, the tall viewing tower (Verloren Cost) forms an integral part of the city wall. Other striking features in the cityscape include the unusual tower of Sint-Gertrudis, with its openwork stone steeple, and the church of Sint-Pieters opposite the town hall in the city centre. (Taschen)

The engraving is made after a woodcut in Guicciardini's Descrittione di tutti Paesi Bassi, 1567.

MECHELEN

CARTOUCHE: A very accurate drawing of the handsome city of Mechelen, situated in the middle of Brabant.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Mechelen possesses very many churches, including two, however, that surpass the rest: one is the church of Our Lady, the other St Rumold's, which has a very tall and handsome tower. [...] Also located in this city is the royal arsenal, with a simply incredible number of rifles, weapons and all the things that are needed for warfare. In this city there are also very many craftsmen who cast rifles and bells, build ships, make coth, produce skilful paintings and many other things.". 
  
Date of the first edition: 1572
Date of this map: 1599

Copper engraving
Size: 36.5 x 48cm (14.2 x 18.7 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Superb contemporary colour, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1786; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p. 57.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Liber Primus. Köln, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.1)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.