Sanderus catalogue

new

Old, antique map - bird's-eye view of Bergen, by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, after Hieronumus Scholäus.

Item number:25152
Category:Antique maps > europe > northern europe
Rating:
* * * *
Price: 3000 Euro ($3360 / £2610)
Add to shoppingcart

Bergen - Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, 1588.


Old, antique map - bird's-eye view of Bergen, by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, after Hieronumus Scholäus.


Date of first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1588

Copper Engraving
Size: 32,5cm x 47,8cm (12,8 inches x 18,82 inches) (height x width)
Verso: Latin text
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 440, State 1; Fauser, #1312; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.316.

From: Liber Quartus Urbium Praecipuarum Totius Mundi. Cologne, 1588. (Koeman, B&H4, Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.4)


COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Most of the finest buildings in the city, be they houses of worship or domiciles, belong to the Hanseatic merchants, the Osterlingen, as they are called there. The rest are shoddily made, with walls of timber pieced together and roofed over with green moss. Nevertheless, the German merchants have a splendid outpost in Bergen because it is excellently suited for trade and commerce. For it encompasses a whole side of the harbour [...]. They have separate trading posts corresponding to the diversity of their cities and countries of origin. Hence the merchants from Lübeck, Danzig, Cologne, Brunswick and Hamburg each have a site of their own by the shore, on which they unload the ships from their cities and load them again and send them back to Germany."

Bergen, founded in 1070 and fortified with a palisade, is seen from the southwest across Vägen Bay, which opens out onto Byfjord. From the dense welter of timber houses soars St Mary's, the Gothic cathedral attended by the German merchants (C), and the fortress of Bergenhus (A), the 13th century seat of the Norwegian kings. The harbour is dominated by the Tyska Bryggen (German Quay), the quarter with the old mercantile houses and the sprawling quay; the numerous cranes and the ships allude to the flourishing trade conducted by the fourth-largest entrepôt in the Hanseatic League. The wealth of what was then the largest city in Scandinavia, which, with an impassable hinterland, could be reached only by sea, came from its far-flung trade in salt fish. Even after the Hansa disbanded in the 17th cent., Bergen retained its importance. (Taschen)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2018 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.