Sanderus catalogue

Old antique plan of Danzig (Gdansk), by Braun & Hogenberg.

Item number:23285
Category:Antique maps > europe > eastern europe
Price: 1100 Euro ($1232 / £935)
Add to shoppingcart

Dantzigk - Gedanum, Krantio, in sua Wandalia Gdanum; . . . - Braun & Hogenberg, 1597.


Old map - bird's-eye view of Gdansk by Braun & Hogenberg.

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Gedanum, Krantio, in the native Vendish dialect Gdanum, commonly, but corruptedly, Dantiscum, in German Danzig. Prosperous city in Prussia and well-known trading port. With this topographical map, painted at his expense, the famous and singular patron of learned men Dr Adam Wachendorff, wise and faithful secretary of the Hanseatic League in London, kindly contributed a magnificent adornment for our work.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The inhabitants of Danzig run to the sea by day and night, carrying fishing nets with them; they wait for slack water and then run naked into the sea during the ebb tide and scoop up from the ground whatever the can find with their fishing nets. [...] And when they have brought in the nets, they run back to the shore where the women are waiting to see what good things they have brought, and shake out the nets, and the women gather up whatever is good."

Gdansk is shown in a view from Gradowa Hill (Hegelsberg) from the direction of the Gulf of Gdansk and the mouth of the Vistula. In the foreground the staffage figures demonstrate the rich clothing of the burghers, peasants and maids and - just like the many ships on the Baltic Sea - the wealth of this trade city. In the silhouette of the city the church of St Mary ( Die Phare Kirch, or parish church) can be identified, the biggest red-brick church in the world, which can accommodate 25,000 people. To the right of it rises the tower of the Gothic town hall. Gdansk was first recorded in 997; from 1308 the city was ruled by the Teutonic Knights, and it became a member of the Hanseatic League in 1361. In 1454 Gdansk, together with the Prussian Confederation, placed itself under the protection of the Polish king. (Taschen)

Date of the first edition: 1575
Date of this map: 1597

Copper engraving
Size: 33 x 48.5cm (12.9 x 18.9 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1445; Fauser, #2880; Niewodniczanski, K112/1; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.182. 

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2: De Praecipuis, Totius Universi Urbibus, Liber Secundus. Köln, Bertram Buchholz, 1597. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.2)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.