Sanderus catalogue

Old antique bird's-eye view of Krakow, by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Item number:17058
Category:Antique maps > europe > eastern europe
Rating:
* * * *
Price: 3300 Euro ($3729 / £2805)
Add to shoppingcart

Cracovia Metropolis Regni Poloniae. - Braun & Hogenberg, 1617


Old antique map, a spectacular bird's-eye view of Cracow and surroundings, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

 

With Latin key to ten locations.

TRANSLATION OF TITLE: Cracow, capital of the Kingdom of Poland.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The splendid and vast city of Cracow is not only the residence of the king, but also the place where the royal treasury is. [...] Many people divide the city into three independent parts, each with its own town hall and court of justice. One is called Clepardia and lies on the side of Cracow leading to Silesia. But the city itself lies on a hill, called Wawel Hill, and at the top of it there is a royal palace. [...] As far as the city of Cracow is concerned, it has many fine churches and monasteries. Almost in the middle of the city is the main church dedicated to St Mary, roofed with shining lead and with two very high towers. An archbishop presides over this church."

This magnificent folded plate is the only one of its kind in the city atlas and may be seen as a testimony to Cracow's importance at the time as a royal residence, episcopal see and university town. This is a view of the city from the west looking over the place where the Rudawa flows into the Vistula. The central feature is the royal palace, framed by the Old Town on the left and the suburb of Stradom on the right. The Old Town is surrounded by a moat and a wall with many towers, while the Jewish suburb of Kazimierz can be seen on the far right, on the other side of the Vistula. It is possible that the scene in the foreground represents the entry of the Polish king accompanied by knights and ecclesiastical dignitaries. The banderole celebrating Cracow as the royal residence would seem to confirm this. The plate was out of date at the time the book was published, and Georg Braun was ill informed, for Cracow had been replaced as the capital by Warsaw under Sigismund III between 1596 and 1611. (Taschen)

Date of the first edition: 1617
Date of this map: 1617

Copper engraving, printed on two sheets, joined.
Size: 37 x 105.5cm (14.4 x 41.1 inches)
Verso: Blank
Condition: Repair at fold, nice copy.
Condition Rating: B
References:Van der Krogt 4, #2151, State 1; Fauser, #6964; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.481; Niewodniczanski, K105/6

From: Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVII. (Koeman, B&H6)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.