Sanderus catalogue

new

Old antique bird's-eye view plan of Wroclaw (Breslau), by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Item number:26777
Category:Antique maps > europe > eastern europe
Rating:
* * * *
Price: 750 Euro ($855 / £667.5)
Add to shoppingcart

Wratislavia. - Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, 1590.


Old, antique map - bird's-eye view plan of Wroclaw (Breslau), by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "The city government, which is constituted of the best and wisest of councillors, is held there in high esteem and great honour. The populace also obeys the Council with the greatest deference and the humblest submissiveness. The city ordinances there do not favour any one party over another but rather strive for propriety, the observance of justice and the equality of all citizens. [...] In addition, there are also designated magistrates, who with their clercks, impart advice to everyone in the country who seeks their counsel. In addition, there are many arts and crafts in this city that are both good and useful for everyday life. Moreover, it should not be forgotten that good, flavoursome beer is brewed there."

Wroclaw (German Breslau) is shown in a bird's-eye view, looking towards southwest, with the River Oder dividing into several arms. Large market squares are at the centre of the fortified city: on the left, the Ring (13) with the town hall (14), next to which is the Salzring (18), and to the right Neumarkt (54). Cathedral Island (80) - the bishopric of Wroclaw was established in AD 1000 - is on the right-hand margin of the picture. The building of a new fortified castel (30) in the late 12th century gave the city three centres: the ducal seat and the Ghetto under its protection; the ecclesiastical city on Sand and Cathedral Islands; and the German mercantile city, more recently laid out round the Ring. Ceded to the Habsburgs in 1526, Wroclaw became Prussian in 1742. In the Holy Roman Empire, Wroclaw was a major centre of trade and commerce and a university city. The city became Polish after the Second World War. Displaced Poles, most of them from what is now Lviv in Ukraine, replaced the displaced Germans who were forced to leave the city after the war. (Taschen)

Date of the first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1590

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 36.5 x 49cm (14.2 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: German
Condition: Small reinforcement at centrefold split.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, #4876; Fauser, #1924; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.322.

From: Contrafactur und Beschreibung von den vornembsten Stetten der Welt. Liber quartus Köln, Bertram Büchholtz, 1590. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:2.1)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.