Sanderus catalogue

new

Old antique bird's-eye view plan of Avignon, by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Item number:23967
Category:Antique maps > europe > france
Rating:
* * * * *
Price: 380 Euro ($429.4 / £330.6)
Add to shoppingcart

Avignon. - Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, 1597.


Old, antique bird's-eye view plan of Avignon, by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

 

Vue à vol d'oiseau de la ville d'Avignon, par Georg Braun et Frans Hogenberg.
With key to locations.


The engraving is a faithful copy of Belleforest's plan of 1575 except that the tops of each of the towers have been changed into gabled roofs by the addition of crenellation.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Avignon is a highly famed city with a wonderful church in honour of the Virgin Mary, which enjoys many privileges. This city has a magnificent cardinals' palace and a veritable Carthusian monastery surpassing all others in France. The Roman Papacy had its seat in this city for 70 years. All around the city is good fertile soil, much silk is dyed here and there are also many paper mills due to its favourable location near the water. Not to be forgotten is the university, which flourished particularly during the time when the Pope had his seat here."

Avignon is shown from the south in a bird's-eye view that almost resembles a plan. On the other side of the Rhône lies Villeneuve, the site of the Carthusian monastery mentioned by Braun, represented together with the adjoining hills in side view. Many of Avignon's medieval structures have been preserved, such as the massive city walls. The city-scape is dominated by the Romanesque cathedral of Notre-Dame des Doms dating from the 14th century. The Saint-Bénézet bridge, which is commemorated in the traditional French song "Sur le pont d'Avignon", dates from the 12th century. The plate shows the original bridge, which was almost completely destroyed by floods in 1668. In 1309-1376 Avignon was the residence of the popes, during what is known as the Avignon exile. Up to 1797 Avignon remained in papal ownership. Silk making was an important economic activity in Avignon. Remarkable are the four windmills that can be seen on the some 60-m-high limestone bluff that rises up in the middle of the town.

Date of the first edition: 1575
Date of this map: 1597

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 31 x 47cm (12.1 x 18.3 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, #325; Fauser, #936; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.150.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2: De Praecipuis, Totius Universi Urbibus, Liber Secundus. Köln, Bertram Buchholz, 1597. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.2)

Questions about this map?
Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Sanderusmaps.com - All rights reserved. Site development by 9000 Studios.