Arras, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1599
Arras - Atrebatum, fertilissimae Artesiae Urbs primaria, elegantissimo situ, . . .
Old map - bird's-eye plan of Arras by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
With key to locations.
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Arras, capital of the very fertile Artois, is distinguished by its beautiful location, the industry of its inhabitants, as a diocese, by its magnificent churches, in particular St Maria and St Vaast, and by its famous citizens.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "This city is divided into two parts by its city walls, with one city assigned to the bishop, the other to the prince. Although the episcopal city is smaller, it is very beautiful and distinguished by the main church dedicated to the Virgin Mary; it also has a magnificent library of written and printed theological books. The other part of the city is characterized by broad streets, very well-appointed houses and a second large market. In this part lies the abbey of Saint-Vaast, an extremely wealthy monastery."
Cartographer: Jacob van Deventer
Date of the first edition: 1581
Date of this map: 1599
Size: 15 x 48cm (5.9 x 18.7 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 253; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.231.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum. . Liber tertius. Köln, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Koeman, B&H3)