Saintes, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1596/97
Saintes - En ce pourtrait de la vile et cité de Saintes, Chef de la Comté de Saintonge en Guienne, . . .
Old map - bird's-eye view of Saintes by Braun and Hogenberg, made after a drawing by Georg Hoefnagel.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Saintes is the capital of the Santones, situated on the Charente: this city was called Mediolanum Santonum by Ptolemy; Mediolanum was a bishoric from the time of the Apostles onwards. The ancient walls and the other antiquities show that Mediolanum was formerly the capital of the Santones; the Romans subsequently changed the name and gave it another name, after the people who lived there."
This plate is shown in a bird's-eye view from the east, from the modern-day Faubourg des Dames, offering a clear overview of the city of Saintes and the surrounding countryside. The city, which had 15,000 inhabitants even in Roman times, is constructed in the manner of a fortress. Various ruins testify to its Roman past, including a triumphal arch of Germanicus, thermal baths and an amphitheatre (Q). In the city centre stands the cathedral of Saint-Pierre (I). On the hill to the left, outside the city walls, rises the pelgrimage church of Saint-Eutrope, today only partly intact, which formes one of the stations along the Way of St James. Also famous is the Abbaye aux Dames (5) on the opposite bank of the Charente, a former nunnery with its abbey of Sainte-Marie-des-Dames. During the Wars of Religion in France, Saintes became a cultural and religious centre of the Huguenots. Today the town near the west coast of France has 25,000 inhabitants. (Taschen)
Old, aDate of the first edition: 1596
Date of this map: 1596
Size: 36 x 46cm (14 x 17.9 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 3810; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.371.
From: Urbium Praecipuarum Mundi Theatrum Quintum Auctore Georgio Braunio Agrippinate. Part 5. Köln, 1596/97. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.5)