Strasbourg, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1612
Argentoratum, cuius ob antiquitatem Ptolemeus, ...
Old map - bird's-eye view plan of Strasbourg by Braun and Hogenberg.
Cartouche: Strasbourg, mentioned since antiquity by Ptolemy, St Jerome, Orosius, Eutropius, Marcellinus and others, is the capital of the Alsace, on the nearby flowing Rhine, called by others Argentina or Aurentina but Strasbourg by the ordinary people. A city widely famed for the virtue, prudence and integrity of the magistracy, respected scientific studies and a well-known school.
Strasbourg is seen from a bird's-eye perspective in a plan view in which the blocks of houses are markedly contracted in favour of the broad streets and squares. The nortth tower, 142 m high and built from 1227 to 1439, made the cathedral the tallest Christian church right up to the 19th century. In 1262 the city was declared a Free Imperial City, of which there were seven in total, and profited from many privileges and a certain independence. From the 14th century onwards it formed a major economic and cultural centre, with close links to cities of Upper Italy.
Copper engraving after a map by Conrad Morant, 1548. Not just the view of the city but also the Latin texts were taken over verbatim. Morant has been shown to have collaborated c. 1550 on Munster's Cosmographia so that there are also similarities with the woodcut there.
Date of the first edition: 1572
Date of this map: 1612
Size: 34 x 42cm (13.3 x 16.4 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 4169, State 3 ; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.98.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Liber Primus. Cologne, Petrus von Brachel, 1612. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.1(1612))