Montpellier, Tours and Poitiers, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1612
Monspessulanus, Montpellier [on sheet with] Turo, Tours [and] Pictavis, sive Pictavia, Vernaculo Idiomate Poitiers.
Old map with three bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenberg: Montpellier, Tours and Poitiers.
Montpellier: With key to locations. In his brief description of the city, Braun focuses primarily upon the university founded by Pope Nicholas IV in 1289. He makes no mention, on the other hand, of the church of Notre-Dame-des-Tables, which is recognizable by its tall spire. The church has been a stopping point since the Middle Ages for pilgrims on their way to Santiago di Compostella.
Tours: With key to locations. The abbey of Saint-Martin, which was destroyed in 1562, is here still intact. Unmistakeable on the right is the late Gothic cathedral of Saint-Gatien (13th-16th cent.), which was built after the previous Romanesque church burned down and which houses the relics of the first bishop of Tours, Gatianus. Standing on the left, outside the first city wall, is the abbey of Saint-Julien from the 12th/13th centuries.
Poitiers: Cartouche: Pictavis or Pictavia, in the local vernacular Poitiers, capital of the Pictavi or Pictones, noteworthy for its university, for the ruins of a large theatre, for ancient monuments, for magnificent ecclesiastical and secular buildings.
The captions in this engraving are given in particular detail. It is thus possible to recognize e.g. the famous Romanesque church of Notre-Dame-la-Grande, and the basilica of Saint-Hilaire-le-Grand. The imposing building rising above the rest in the centre of the picture is the Gothic cathedral of Saint-Pierre.
Date of the first edition: 1572 - This second plate appears only from 1612 on.
Date of this map: 1612
Size: 32.5 x 48.5cm (12.7 x 18.9 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 2856 (Plate B); Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.60.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Liber Primus. Cologne, Petrus von Brachel, 1612. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.1(1612))