Tours and Angers, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1596/97
Turones vulgo Tours, le Iardin de France. [on sheet with:] Andegavum vulgo Angiers.
Old map with two bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenbergt: Tours and Angers.
CAPTION: Turones, in the vernacular Tours, the garden of France.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The Touronians are the most ancient and noble of all the other peoples of France [...] Tours is also one of France's richest cities, whose wealth is founded on its fertile arable land, they also conduct lively trade and manufacture very fine cloth, as soft and handsome as if it had been made in Italy."
In this second engraving of Tours, the city is seen from the opposite direction, i.e. from the north looking across the Loire and the Island of Aucard. Rising in front of the Gothic cathedral of Saint-Gatien in the left half of the picture is the château of the kings of France, including the Tour de Guise that still stands today. On the far right is Notre-Dame-la-Riche. The draughtsman has depicted himself at work in the left-hand foreground.
CAPTION: Andegavum, in the vernacular Angers.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city of Angers lies on the Maine, which divides it into two halves, so that one part lies to the southeast and the other towards the west. The local merchants have the right to mint their own coins."
Angers, the former capital of Anjou, is seen from the west. Far left lies the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Serge. The cathedral of Saint-Maurice can be seen in the centre and, beside it, the episcopal palace. In front of the cathedral on the left rises the massive tower of Saint-Aubin abbey, today all that survives of the former monastery complex, whose other buildings have since been converted for public use, such as the Prefecture and a banquet hall. To the right of the cathedral lies the Château d'Angers, a fortress surrounded by a wall with 17 towers. The staffage figures in the foreground refer to a distinctive feature of the area around Angers: the quarrying of slate. (Taschen)
Both engravings are made after drawings by Georg Hoefnagel.
Date of the first edition: 1596
Date of this map: 1596
Size: 34.5 x 46cm (13.5 x 17.9 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 4456; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.371.
From: Urbium Praecipuarum Mundi Theatrum Quintum Auctore Georgio Braunio Agrippinate. Part 5. Köln, 1596/97. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.5)