This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#26742)

Venice (Venezia), by Braun Georg & Hogenberg Frans. 1599

Based on the map of Forlani. The vignette with part of the Doge's procession is taken from M. Pagani (1559).

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Venice is divided into six districts; near the shore one can see two huge columns, on one of which stands the symbol of St Mark, namely the winged lion, on the other St Theodore. Between these columns is the place where criminals are punished. The market square is embellished by the magnificent and wonderful church of St Mark, which was built of precious and costly marble. [...] The streets of the city are intersected by canals, which are spanned by wooden and stone bridges, of which some 400 can be counted. There are, however, over 8,000 small boats in which one can travel to and fro."

Thanks to its geographical position, Venice for centuries played an undisputed leading role in trade between East and West. In the 15th/16th centuries the city on the lagoon, with a population of some 150,000, also experienced a flowering of the arts. The 400 bridges over its 180 canals include above all the famous Rialto (150), at that time the only bridge over the Grand Canal. The originally wooden bridge with its many stalls and shops was replaced in 1591 by a stone bridge. Standing out from amongst the sea of buildings - supported on millions of wooden piles - are St Mark's square with the cathedral, the bell-tower and the two columns bearing the city's patron saints, Mark (represented by a lion) and Theodore. Opposite St Mark's square lies the Island of San Giorgio with its monastery and church. Above the city is Murano, to where all Venice's glass-making workshops were moved in the 13th century for reasons of fire prevention. Ships, boats and Venetian gondolas fill the harbour. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Venetia.

€3500  ($4235 / £3080)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  26742
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Italy - Cities
References: Van der Krogt 4 - #4607 State 2; Moretto - #26; Fauser - #14690; Taschen, Br. Hog. - p.112

Old, antique map - bird's-eye view of Venice, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Pianta antica a volo d'ucello della città di Venezia, di Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

With an Italian key to locations.

Date of the first edition: 1572
Date of this map: 1599

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 33.5 x 48.5cm (13.1 x 18.8 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, #4607 State 2; Moretto, #26; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.112, Fauser, #14690.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Liber Primus. Köln, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.1)

Based on the map of Forlani. The vignette with part of the Doge's procession is taken from M. Pagani (1559).

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Venice is divided into six districts; near the shore one can see two huge columns, on one of which stands the symbol of St Mark, namely the winged lion, on the other St Theodore. Between these columns is the place where criminals are punished. The market square is embellished by the magnificent and wonderful church of St Mark, which was built of precious and costly marble. [...] The streets of the city are intersected by canals, which are spanned by wooden and stone bridges, of which some 400 can be counted. There are, however, over 8,000 small boats in which one can travel to and fro."

Thanks to its geographical position, Venice for centuries played an undisputed leading role in trade between East and West. In the 15th/16th centuries the city on the lagoon, with a population of some 150,000, also experienced a flowering of the arts. The 400 bridges over its 180 canals include above all the famous Rialto (150), at that time the only bridge over the Grand Canal. The originally wooden bridge with its many stalls and shops was replaced in 1591 by a stone bridge. Standing out from amongst the sea of buildings - supported on millions of wooden piles - are St Mark's square with the cathedral, the bell-tower and the two columns bearing the city's patron saints, Mark (represented by a lion) and Theodore. Opposite St Mark's square lies the Island of San Giorgio with its monastery and church. Above the city is Murano, to where all Venice's glass-making workshops were moved in the 13th century for reasons of fire prevention. Ships, boats and Venetian gondolas fill the harbour. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.