This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#29850)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Jerusalem by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1617

TRANSLATION OF CAPTION: Jerusalem and its suburbs as it flourished in the time of Christ, with the places where Christ suffered. Preserved with reverence by the Christians, they are still venerated today. Described by Christian Adrichom of Delft.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Dear Reader, three parts of Jerusalem are distinguished. The first is called the City of Justice (Isaiah 1), the second the Holy City (Isaiah 52), and the third the City of Truth (Zechariah 8). And because the City of Justice in times past [...] was also the Daughter of Zion, it was called the new and different city between the new enceinte and the old or first city wall. The Holy City, however, was so named because of the Temple there, the holiest of sites. This extended from the old wall to the Valley of Mello, also called the Water Gate Road and the Valley of the Cheesemakers (Tyropoéon). The City of Truth is the third section of the city. It was also called Mount Zion and the City of David (who had sworn to tell the truth to God), after David, the first king chosen from the tribe of Judah. Just as the Promised Land was divided into three parts in the time of Christ, namely Galilee, Samaria and Judea, so is the chief city at the centre, situated like the centre point in a circle drawn with compasses, divided into three parts."
 
Looking north, this view of Jerusalem has been schematically rendered as the scene of events in both the Old and the New Testament. The tripartite division of the city refers to the historical enlargements recorded in Josephus: in the south, the City of David with Mount Zion (3); at the centre, the city as it was enlarged in the 10th-8th centuries BC with Mount Moriah, the Temple Mount and in the north the extensions made in Hellenistic and Roman times. The almost rectangular shape of the city as depicted here might be interpreted as an allusion to the Heavenly Jerusalem of the Revelation of St John the Divine. Similarly, the Temple is represented as a square, open complex encompassed by concentric ring walls. In the south is the Cenacle (6), with Jesus and the Disciples depicted at the Last Supper; to the left, the Palace of Caiaphas (17); south of the Temple Mount, the palace (59) and the throne (113) of Solomon. The Palace of Herod built in 23 BC, is shown (137) in the north. In the east is the Mount of Olives with Gethsemane (210); north of the Temple is the Antonia Fortress (29), the seat of the Roman governor. From there, the Via Dolorosa, with the Stations of the Cross indicated, runs before the city to Calvary, situated in the northwest (Golgota, 235), the site of the Crucifixion. At first glance, this illustration almost seems to draw on the symbolic allegory informing medieval depictions of cities. Here, however, an effort has been made to link the events of the Passion and the holy places mentioned in the Bible with the actual topography of Jerusalem, thus elucidating the nature of the place as the scene of historical events. The formulaic quality of the present representation expresses the principle of the divine order. Hence the map might also have been intended for contemporary readers as a devotional image for meditation. (Taschen)

Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Ierusalem, et Suburbia eius, sicut Tempore Christi Floruit, cum Locis in quibus Christ Pass. est quae religiose à Christianis observata etiam num Veneratio ni habent descripta per Christianum Adrichom Delphum Delphum.

€3000  ($3180 / £2550)
add to cart
Buy now
questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  29850 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Asia > Holy Land

Old, antique bird’s-eye view plan of Jerusalem by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Title: Ierusalem, et Suburbia eius, sicut Tempore Christi Floruit, cum Locis in quibus Christ Pass. est quae religiose à Christianis observata etiam num Veneratio ni habent descripta per Christianum Adrichom Delphum Delphum.

Cartographer: Christiaan van Adrichom.

Date of the first edition: 1588.
Date of this map: 1617.

Copper engraving, printed from two plates on two sheets of paper, joined.
Image size: 730 x 490mm (28.74 x 19.29 inches).
Sheet size: 780 x 530mm (30.71 x 20.87 inches).
Verso: Latin text.
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+.

From: Liber Quartus Urbium Praecipuarum Totius Mundi. Cologne, Petrus von Brachel, 1617. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.4(1617))

TRANSLATION OF CAPTION: Jerusalem and its suburbs as it flourished in the time of Christ, with the places where Christ suffered. Preserved with reverence by the Christians, they are still venerated today. Described by Christian Adrichom of Delft.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Dear Reader, three parts of Jerusalem are distinguished. The first is called the City of Justice (Isaiah 1), the second the Holy City (Isaiah 52), and the third the City of Truth (Zechariah 8). And because the City of Justice in times past [...] was also the Daughter of Zion, it was called the new and different city between the new enceinte and the old or first city wall. The Holy City, however, was so named because of the Temple there, the holiest of sites. This extended from the old wall to the Valley of Mello, also called the Water Gate Road and the Valley of the Cheesemakers (Tyropoéon). The City of Truth is the third section of the city. It was also called Mount Zion and the City of David (who had sworn to tell the truth to God), after David, the first king chosen from the tribe of Judah. Just as the Promised Land was divided into three parts in the time of Christ, namely Galilee, Samaria and Judea, so is the chief city at the centre, situated like the centre point in a circle drawn with compasses, divided into three parts."
 
Looking north, this view of Jerusalem has been schematically rendered as the scene of events in both the Old and the New Testament. The tripartite division of the city refers to the historical enlargements recorded in Josephus: in the south, the City of David with Mount Zion (3); at the centre, the city as it was enlarged in the 10th-8th centuries BC with Mount Moriah, the Temple Mount and in the north the extensions made in Hellenistic and Roman times. The almost rectangular shape of the city as depicted here might be interpreted as an allusion to the Heavenly Jerusalem of the Revelation of St John the Divine. Similarly, the Temple is represented as a square, open complex encompassed by concentric ring walls. In the south is the Cenacle (6), with Jesus and the Disciples depicted at the Last Supper; to the left, the Palace of Caiaphas (17); south of the Temple Mount, the palace (59) and the throne (113) of Solomon. The Palace of Herod built in 23 BC, is shown (137) in the north. In the east is the Mount of Olives with Gethsemane (210); north of the Temple is the Antonia Fortress (29), the seat of the Roman governor. From there, the Via Dolorosa, with the Stations of the Cross indicated, runs before the city to Calvary, situated in the northwest (Golgota, 235), the site of the Crucifixion. At first glance, this illustration almost seems to draw on the symbolic allegory informing medieval depictions of cities. Here, however, an effort has been made to link the events of the Passion and the holy places mentioned in the Bible with the actual topography of Jerusalem, thus elucidating the nature of the place as the scene of historical events. The formulaic quality of the present representation expresses the principle of the divine order. Hence the map might also have been intended for contemporary readers as a devotional image for meditation. (Taschen)

Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

References: Van der Krogt 4 - p. 1026, #1963; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p.344; Fauser - #6106