This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product?

Enns by Braun and Hogenberg.

TRANSLATION OF CAPTION: Enns, a town in Austria, dividing Upper and Lower Austria.

Signed and dated bottom: Procured by Georg Hoefnagel, painted by his son Jakob in the year 1617.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "This was once a large, splendid city where the Romans had their colonies and permanent camp, and which they called Aureliana Laureacensis. And not only legions, but also the imperators and emperors themselves stayed here. It was destroyed so often and to such a great extent by the Goths, Huns and other barbaric peoples that scarcely any sign of its former splendour remains."

This is a frontal view towards the west of the town of Enns, which stands in the background on a hill above the river of the same name, surrounded by fields. On the left is the church of St Mary; on the right the castle dating from the 10th century, which developed into yhe palace of Ennsegg in the 16th century. The view is dominated by the 16th-century tower beside the town hall; the latter was rebuilt in 1547. Enns developed from a settlement that grew up in the 10-century next to the castle and received a municipal charter in 1212. In the immediate vicinity, on the site of the present-day district of Lorch, was once the Roman settlement of Lauriacum, which was granted city privileges by Emperor Caracalla in AD 212 and was destroyed by the Huns in the 5th century. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver on numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Ens Austriae Civitas Superiorem ab inferioris dividens. - Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, c. 1625.

€480  ($561.6 / £432)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  16363  new
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Austria
References: Van der Krogt 4 - #11246; Taschen, Br. Hog. - p.459; Fauser - #3643

Old, antique map - bird's-eye view of Enns by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Date of the first edition: 1617
Date of this map: c. 1625
Date on map: 1617

Copper engraving
Size: 33.5 x 49cm (13 x 19.1 inches)
Condition: Old coloured, margins smudged, left and part of lower margins backed, some bleeding of the orange colour (in the margins).
Condition Rating: B
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1246; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.459; Fauser, #3643

From: Liber Quartus - Théatre des Principales Villes de tout L'Univers. Cologne, c. 1625. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:3.6)

TRANSLATION OF CAPTION: Enns, a town in Austria, dividing Upper and Lower Austria.

Signed and dated bottom: Procured by Georg Hoefnagel, painted by his son Jakob in the year 1617.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "This was once a large, splendid city where the Romans had their colonies and permanent camp, and which they called Aureliana Laureacensis. And not only legions, but also the imperators and emperors themselves stayed here. It was destroyed so often and to such a great extent by the Goths, Huns and other barbaric peoples that scarcely any sign of its former splendour remains."

This is a frontal view towards the west of the town of Enns, which stands in the background on a hill above the river of the same name, surrounded by fields. On the left is the church of St Mary; on the right the castle dating from the 10th century, which developed into yhe palace of Ennsegg in the 16th century. The view is dominated by the 16th-century tower beside the town hall; the latter was rebuilt in 1547. Enns developed from a settlement that grew up in the 10-century next to the castle and received a municipal charter in 1212. In the immediate vicinity, on the site of the present-day district of Lorch, was once the Roman settlement of Lauriacum, which was granted city privileges by Emperor Caracalla in AD 212 and was destroyed by the Huns in the 5th century. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver on numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.