This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#23973)

Huy, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1597

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT LEFT: Huum, capital of the Condrusi in Belgian Gaul, of which this plate, drawn true to nature and very exactly in order to embellish this topographical work, was provided by a most erudite gentleman, R. D. Remaclus of Limbourg, renowned in the art of medicine, and D. Paulus, among the canons of Liège an important patron and sponsor of students.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Huy is an old and elegant city in German-Brabant, situated on the Meuse in a wooded valley between the mountains. This town has large, beautiful and old buildings. In them live very many excellent nobles, who possess houses that are wonderfully decorated, both inside and out. Several of them have splendid battlements and towers, as if they were royal castles."

The view shows the city of Huy from the northeast. The Gothic collegiate church of Notre-Dame, which stands out in the middle of the plate (2), was begun in 1311 and completed in 1536; the 11th-century crypt is still preserved. The castle has been the landmark of this town since the 15th century. Here it still appears as a filigree château, but from 1817 it was converted into a citadel. Huy boasts the oldest municipal charter on the European continent, for a document signed by Prince-Bishop Theoduin confirms the granting of a charter in 1066. The city was a centre of the clothing industry in the 13th and 14th centuries, and exported its products to places as far off as Russia and Scandinavia.


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Huum Opp. Condrusorum Caput ...

€320  ($387.2 / £275.2)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  23973
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Belgium - Cities

Old map - bird's-eye view of Huy by Braun and Hogenberg, with key to locations. .

Date of the first edition: 1575
Date of this map: 1597

Copper engraving
Size: 30 x 46.5cm (11.7 x 18.1 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1854; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.148.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2: De Praecipuis, Totius Universi Urbibus, Liber Secundus. Köln, Bertram Buchholz, 1597. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.2)

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT LEFT: Huum, capital of the Condrusi in Belgian Gaul, of which this plate, drawn true to nature and very exactly in order to embellish this topographical work, was provided by a most erudite gentleman, R. D. Remaclus of Limbourg, renowned in the art of medicine, and D. Paulus, among the canons of Liège an important patron and sponsor of students.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Huy is an old and elegant city in German-Brabant, situated on the Meuse in a wooded valley between the mountains. This town has large, beautiful and old buildings. In them live very many excellent nobles, who possess houses that are wonderfully decorated, both inside and out. Several of them have splendid battlements and towers, as if they were royal castles."

The view shows the city of Huy from the northeast. The Gothic collegiate church of Notre-Dame, which stands out in the middle of the plate (2), was begun in 1311 and completed in 1536; the 11th-century crypt is still preserved. The castle has been the landmark of this town since the 15th century. Here it still appears as a filigree château, but from 1817 it was converted into a citadel. Huy boasts the oldest municipal charter on the European continent, for a document signed by Prince-Bishop Theoduin confirms the granting of a charter in 1066. The city was a centre of the clothing industry in the 13th and 14th centuries, and exported its products to places as far off as Russia and Scandinavia.


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

Related items