This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#27942)

Warsaw (Warszawa), by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg. 1618

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "The most distinguished city in Warsaw, situated on the River Vistula [...]. It may be well be that at the time when it still belonged to the Dukes of Masovia this city enjoyed greater prosperity than other cities. Nevertheless, after passing to the Polish crown penniless, as one might say, it developed so fast that in a short time one city became two, the new one being built on to the old one, both of them having similar buildings yet different jurisdictions and municipal charters. In both cities the houses and other buildings are built of stone, which is rare in Poland."

The city is shown from the east bank of the Vistula, with a view of bustling river traffic. The narrow bridge over the river was contructed in 1573. Warsaw was founded at the beginning of the 14th century. After the creation of the Polish-Lithuanian Union it became the centre of the new state, and the residence of the Polish kings was moved from Cracow to Warsaw in the years 1598-1611. This plate obviously originates from an earlier period: there is nothing to indicate that the city is a royal residence; the 14th-century castle is shown and not the palace, and there is no mention of a royal residence in the commentary. In addition, the 14th-century church of St John (centre) is shown with the tower that collapsed is 1602. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Varsovia.

€4500  ($5355 / £3870)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  27942  new
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Eastern Europe
References: Van der Krogt 4 - #4780; Fauser - #15133; Taschen, Br. Hog. - p.473; Niewodniczanski - K103/6

Old, antique panoramic view of Warsaw (Warszawa), by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Title: Varsovia.

Inset with costumed figures.

Date of the first edition: 1617.
Date of this map: 1618.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 320 x 470mm (12.6 x 18.5 inches).
Verso: Latin text.
Condition: Original coloured, some creasing in centre.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, #4780; Fauser, #15133; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.473; Niewodniczanski, K103/6

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum. Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVIII. Cologne, Anton Heirat, 1617-18. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.6)

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "The most distinguished city in Warsaw, situated on the River Vistula [...]. It may be well be that at the time when it still belonged to the Dukes of Masovia this city enjoyed greater prosperity than other cities. Nevertheless, after passing to the Polish crown penniless, as one might say, it developed so fast that in a short time one city became two, the new one being built on to the old one, both of them having similar buildings yet different jurisdictions and municipal charters. In both cities the houses and other buildings are built of stone, which is rare in Poland."

The city is shown from the east bank of the Vistula, with a view of bustling river traffic. The narrow bridge over the river was contructed in 1573. Warsaw was founded at the beginning of the 14th century. After the creation of the Polish-Lithuanian Union it became the centre of the new state, and the residence of the Polish kings was moved from Cracow to Warsaw in the years 1598-1611. This plate obviously originates from an earlier period: there is nothing to indicate that the city is a royal residence; the 14th-century castle is shown and not the palace, and there is no mention of a royal residence in the commentary. In addition, the 14th-century church of St John (centre) is shown with the tower that collapsed is 1602. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.