This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#15435)

Bad Segeberg - the Castle of Segeberg (Burg Segeberg) in Holstein, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. c. 1593

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: The castle of Segeberg, formerly Aelberga, embellishes Wagrien, the famous region in Holstein. This our work has been adorned with this view as well as views of other cities on the whole Cimbrian Peninsula that have never been published before, by the most illustrious D. Heinrich Rantzau, viceroy of the Danish Kings in the Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein and Dithmarschen and lord of this castle, unique patron of the muses.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "No one who is familiar with its location and its great abundance of wood will be surprised to learn that the Duchy of Holsatz, or Holstein, got its name from wood (German Holz) and forests, and that Holsatz means "sowed or set in wood and forests". For the rest, it is a flat country with few hills and the most distinguished of the two is in no way uninhabited and is famous far and wide because of its monuments, with which it has been adorned by the celebrated Heinrich Rantzau."

The castle of Segeberg, shown from the north on the 110-m-high Kalkberg Hill, was built in the 12th century to defend the border area between Saxons and Slavs, together with the Augustinian monastery on the shore of the lake, and the market town along the road. The Romanesque church of St Mary is mentioned for the first time in 1199. The castle on the hill was constantly expanded up to 1340 and passed into the possession of Christian I of Denmark in 1449. After this, Segeberg was for long time the seat of the royal Danish governors, the most famous of which, Heinrich Rantzau, built the town hall. The castle was destroyed by Swedish troops in 1644. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Arx Segeberga, quondam Aelberga, Wagriam, Nobilem Holsatiae Regionem, exornat. . . .

€400  ($400 / £336)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  15435
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Germany - Cities
References: Van der Krogt 4 - #3941, State 1; Taschen, Br. Hog. - p. 311

Antique map - bird's-eye view of Bad Segeberg - the Castle of Segeberg (Burg Segeberg) in Holstein by Braun and Hogenberg.

Date of the first edition: 1588
Date of this map: c. 1593

Copper engraving
Size: 33.5 x 46.5cm (13.1 x 18.1 inches)
Verso text: French
Condition: Old coloured, some ink smudging.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 3941, State 1; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.311.

From: Liber Quartus - Théatre des Principales Villes de tout L'Univers. Cologne, c. 1593. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:3.4)

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: The castle of Segeberg, formerly Aelberga, embellishes Wagrien, the famous region in Holstein. This our work has been adorned with this view as well as views of other cities on the whole Cimbrian Peninsula that have never been published before, by the most illustrious D. Heinrich Rantzau, viceroy of the Danish Kings in the Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein and Dithmarschen and lord of this castle, unique patron of the muses.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "No one who is familiar with its location and its great abundance of wood will be surprised to learn that the Duchy of Holsatz, or Holstein, got its name from wood (German Holz) and forests, and that Holsatz means "sowed or set in wood and forests". For the rest, it is a flat country with few hills and the most distinguished of the two is in no way uninhabited and is famous far and wide because of its monuments, with which it has been adorned by the celebrated Heinrich Rantzau."

The castle of Segeberg, shown from the north on the 110-m-high Kalkberg Hill, was built in the 12th century to defend the border area between Saxons and Slavs, together with the Augustinian monastery on the shore of the lake, and the market town along the road. The Romanesque church of St Mary is mentioned for the first time in 1199. The castle on the hill was constantly expanded up to 1340 and passed into the possession of Christian I of Denmark in 1449. After this, Segeberg was for long time the seat of the royal Danish governors, the most famous of which, Heinrich Rantzau, built the town hall. The castle was destroyed by Swedish troops in 1644. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.