This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#22085)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Eckernförde, by Braun & Hogenberg. 1596-1640

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Eckernförde is an ancient Holstein town on a peninsula in the sea.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Eckernförde is a small town in Holstein, situated opposite Eckernborch castle to the north; this latter was destroyed in the Danish War, but its foundations, moats and ramparts can still be made out quite clearly. Erckernförde lies on a peninsula in the Baltic, wherefore it has a safe and convenient harbour. However, bad beer is brewed there, which is useful for purging the body and is exported and sold to Denmark and the Duchy of Schleswig and Holstein. Although the town is surrounded by salt water, it has fresh water fountains on the streets from which the beer is brewed."

The bird's-eye view from the south clearly shows the town's layout, which was probably founded in the 13th century on a bay northwest of Kiel. At the end of the 12th century, the king of Denmark had a fortress built on Eckernförde Bay to defend the adjacent trade route - before its destruction, it faced the town from near the top of the picture, a site now occupied by the bathing resort of Borby. Visible on the top of the hill, not far from this point, is Borby church, the town's oldest surviving work of architecture. The church of St Nicholas in the town centre dates back to the start of the 13th century. Eckernförde was first mentioned as a town in 1302. In the Middle Ages and the early modern era, the port was important primarily as a point of transhipment for agricultural produce. In 1864 it was taken from Denmark and given to Prussia, whereby Eckernförde lost a large part of its trade. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Ekelenforda antiquum Holsatiae ad Oceanum peninsulare oppidum.

€420  ($453.6 / £357)
add to cart
Buy now
questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  22085 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Germany - Cities

Old, antique map of Eckernförde by Braun & Hogenberg.

Title: Ekelenforda antiquum Holsatiae ad Oceanum peninsulare oppidum.

Date of the first edition: 1596.
Date of this map: 1596-1640.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 355 x 475mm (13.98 x 18.7 inches).
Verso: Latin text.
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: B.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 5. Köln, 1596-1640.

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Eckernförde is an ancient Holstein town on a peninsula in the sea.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Eckernförde is a small town in Holstein, situated opposite Eckernborch castle to the north; this latter was destroyed in the Danish War, but its foundations, moats and ramparts can still be made out quite clearly. Erckernförde lies on a peninsula in the Baltic, wherefore it has a safe and convenient harbour. However, bad beer is brewed there, which is useful for purging the body and is exported and sold to Denmark and the Duchy of Schleswig and Holstein. Although the town is surrounded by salt water, it has fresh water fountains on the streets from which the beer is brewed."

The bird's-eye view from the south clearly shows the town's layout, which was probably founded in the 13th century on a bay northwest of Kiel. At the end of the 12th century, the king of Denmark had a fortress built on Eckernförde Bay to defend the adjacent trade route - before its destruction, it faced the town from near the top of the picture, a site now occupied by the bathing resort of Borby. Visible on the top of the hill, not far from this point, is Borby church, the town's oldest surviving work of architecture. The church of St Nicholas in the town centre dates back to the start of the 13th century. Eckernförde was first mentioned as a town in 1302. In the Middle Ages and the early modern era, the port was important primarily as a point of transhipment for agricultural produce. In 1864 it was taken from Denmark and given to Prussia, whereby Eckernförde lost a large part of its trade. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

References: Van der Krogt 4 - 1178 state 1; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p.383