This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#23280)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Basel, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1575-1612

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "The city of Basle consists of two parts, one side, which is on the French side, is called Greater Basle and is very old and a bishopric; it existed already at the time when the Romans were there. The smaller city on the German side has been linked to the greater part by a splendid bridge over the flowing Rhine. [...] No one who has seen this city can deny that it is justly called a royal city, "Baslea", due to its fine, straight streets and its neatly arranged and well-positioned buildings, all of which are magnificent and beautifully embellished, lovely, charming gardens, this is where the monastery of St Peter and the Preachers' Monastery is found."

Basle is shown here from the northwest in a bird's-eye view appropriate to its size. In the foreground is Lesser Basle, on the far side of the bridge over the Rhine Greater Basle, protected by a double circular wall, with the late Romanesque and Gothic minster (1) with its two characteristic towers on the west façade, the collegiate church of St Peter (3), the stately town hall with its high tower (4), the university founded in 1460 (6), the Dominican monastery (19, on the right) and the paper mill (12, top left). The Roman town of Augusta Raurica was founded in 44/43 BC; Basilea is first mentioned in AD 374. Basle was recorded as a bishopric in 740. In 1356 one of the biggest earthquakes north of the Alps destroyed most of the city; a disastrous fire also broke out. In 1460 Pope Pius II endowed the University of Basle, the oldest university in Switzerland. This attracted many scholars and humanists (Erasmus of Rotterdam, Hans Holbein the Younger, Paracelsus), and Basle became a centre of printing and publishing (Froben). In 1471 Emperor Friedrich III granted Basle the right to hold fairs. After the Swabian War against Emperor Maximilian I in 1499, Basle became independent from the Empire, joining the Old Swiss Confederation with Schaffhausen in 1501. In 1529 the city accepted the reformed faith, and the bishop had to leave the city. Around 1600, Basle had about 12,000 inhabitants, but between 1550 and 1611, there were several outbreaks of the plague, and a third of the population died. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Basilea

€650  ($689 / £552.5)
add to cart
Buy now
questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  23280 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Switzerland

Old, antique bird’s-eye view plan of Basel, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Title: Basilea.

Date of the first edition: 1575.
Date of this map: 1575-1612.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 375 x 375mm (14.76 x 14.76 inches).
Verso: Latin text.
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2. Köln, 1575-1612.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "The city of Basle consists of two parts, one side, which is on the French side, is called Greater Basle and is very old and a bishopric; it existed already at the time when the Romans were there. The smaller city on the German side has been linked to the greater part by a splendid bridge over the flowing Rhine. [...] No one who has seen this city can deny that it is justly called a royal city, "Baslea", due to its fine, straight streets and its neatly arranged and well-positioned buildings, all of which are magnificent and beautifully embellished, lovely, charming gardens, this is where the monastery of St Peter and the Preachers' Monastery is found."

Basle is shown here from the northwest in a bird's-eye view appropriate to its size. In the foreground is Lesser Basle, on the far side of the bridge over the Rhine Greater Basle, protected by a double circular wall, with the late Romanesque and Gothic minster (1) with its two characteristic towers on the west façade, the collegiate church of St Peter (3), the stately town hall with its high tower (4), the university founded in 1460 (6), the Dominican monastery (19, on the right) and the paper mill (12, top left). The Roman town of Augusta Raurica was founded in 44/43 BC; Basilea is first mentioned in AD 374. Basle was recorded as a bishopric in 740. In 1356 one of the biggest earthquakes north of the Alps destroyed most of the city; a disastrous fire also broke out. In 1460 Pope Pius II endowed the University of Basle, the oldest university in Switzerland. This attracted many scholars and humanists (Erasmus of Rotterdam, Hans Holbein the Younger, Paracelsus), and Basle became a centre of printing and publishing (Froben). In 1471 Emperor Friedrich III granted Basle the right to hold fairs. After the Swabian War against Emperor Maximilian I in 1499, Basle became independent from the Empire, joining the Old Swiss Confederation with Schaffhausen in 1501. In 1529 the city accepted the reformed faith, and the bishop had to leave the city. Around 1600, Basle had about 12,000 inhabitants, but between 1550 and 1611, there were several outbreaks of the plague, and a third of the population died. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

References: Van der Krogt 4 - 395; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p. 176