Miniature with accompanying leaf. Bruges, c. 1450. c.1450
Reciting the Office of the Dead.
Arch-topped miniature with full-page borders, illuminated with burnished and liquid gold. The accompanying leaf is the opening leaf of the Office of the Dead with a large illuminated initial in burnished gold and with full-page borders. This miniature comes from a Book of Hours made by the Masters of the Gold Scrolls, a group of illuminators who dominated Bruges book illumination from about 1410 to 1450, drawing on Parisian miniature and border conventions. Their work is distinguished by the gold patterned background that give them their name, seen on certain miniatures.