This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product?

Nürnberg, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: The well-known city of Nuremberg is effectively the centre of all Germany and is distinguished by public and private buildings, very rich merchants and a wise council; it has skilled master craftsmen of all kinds, is fortified by strong city walls, castles and moats of sufficient width and depth. The lover of the fine arts D. Cornelius Chaymox, a Nuremberg merchant, has very kindly supported our topographical project with this plate.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on the verso): "The Altmühl flows through Eichstätt towards Kehlheim into the Danube, the Pegnitz flows in the north towards Schwabach and joins the Main at Bamberg. Emperor Charles therefore began construction work, ordering many thousand men to take part, and had a channel dug between these two rivers, which was over 2,000 paces long and 300 feet wide, but the work was in vain, for it rained very much at the time and the ground at that place was marshy, so that the work was not completed."

In neither view of Nuremberg does the castle above the city dominate the city, for the hills have been flattened out, especially in this view. Yet one can clearly make out the well-fortified city wall, the mighty castle and the main churches of SS Lawrence and Sebald, as landmarks of the two original parts of the city. The imposing city towers, the Arsenal, the Salt House and the monastery of St Giles are visually emphasized. The present plate is dominated by the figures of patricians in local dress. The two elegantly dressed children to the right of the cartouche are striking, for there are no comparable cases of children as staffage figures. In the 16th century, although Nuremberg had no university, the city was a centre of book printing (Anton Koberger), of art (Michael Wolgemut, Albrecht Dürer, Adam Krafft, Veit Stoss), of literature (Hans Sachs), of geography (Martin Behaim), of educated patrician families (including Pirckheimer, Löffelholz) and of trade. In addition to Augsburg, Nuremberg was the most influential trade city in central Europe. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Nurnberg - Norenberga, Urbs nobilissima, . . . - Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg, 1593.

€1000  ($1170 / £900)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  27634  new
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Germany - Cities
References: Van der Krogt 3 - #3127; Fauser - #10035; Taschen, Br. Hog. - p.174

Old, antique map - panoramic view of Nürnberg, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Date of the first edition: 1575
Date of this map: 1593

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 34 x 49cm (13.3 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: French
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, #3127; Fauser, #10035; Taschen, Br. and Hog., p.174.

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: The well-known city of Nuremberg is effectively the centre of all Germany and is distinguished by public and private buildings, very rich merchants and a wise council; it has skilled master craftsmen of all kinds, is fortified by strong city walls, castles and moats of sufficient width and depth. The lover of the fine arts D. Cornelius Chaymox, a Nuremberg merchant, has very kindly supported our topographical project with this plate.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on the verso): "The Altmühl flows through Eichstätt towards Kehlheim into the Danube, the Pegnitz flows in the north towards Schwabach and joins the Main at Bamberg. Emperor Charles therefore began construction work, ordering many thousand men to take part, and had a channel dug between these two rivers, which was over 2,000 paces long and 300 feet wide, but the work was in vain, for it rained very much at the time and the ground at that place was marshy, so that the work was not completed."

In neither view of Nuremberg does the castle above the city dominate the city, for the hills have been flattened out, especially in this view. Yet one can clearly make out the well-fortified city wall, the mighty castle and the main churches of SS Lawrence and Sebald, as landmarks of the two original parts of the city. The imposing city towers, the Arsenal, the Salt House and the monastery of St Giles are visually emphasized. The present plate is dominated by the figures of patricians in local dress. The two elegantly dressed children to the right of the cartouche are striking, for there are no comparable cases of children as staffage figures. In the 16th century, although Nuremberg had no university, the city was a centre of book printing (Anton Koberger), of art (Michael Wolgemut, Albrecht Dürer, Adam Krafft, Veit Stoss), of literature (Hans Sachs), of geography (Martin Behaim), of educated patrician families (including Pirckheimer, Löffelholz) and of trade. In addition to Augsburg, Nuremberg was the most influential trade city in central Europe. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to such large scale projects as the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.