This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#28660)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Genua - Florence by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg. 1582

GENOA (GENOVA):

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Genoa, mistress and queen of Liguria, an illustrious city in Italy, provides a safe anchorage for ships with her huge harbour on the coast of the Ligurian Sea. The city has poor and barren soil, which has produced shrewd and prudent merchants. These latter have raised it to such prosperity in goods and wealth that in all Italy, there is barely another city before whose gates lie so many country estates, built purely for leisure and with incredible pride. It can be judged from this that the Genoese parade their wealth ostentatiously: not without reason does the city [...] bear the epithet "the proud".

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Genoa, the capital of Liguria, is a powerful, proud and very ancient city. [...] It has an extremely fortified and safe harbour and is also famous for its honest merchants. It has produced excellent merchants who deal by water and land in all things in all periods. [...] It currently recognizes the King of Spain as its supreme lord and is ruled by a duke appointed afresh every year."

Genova's trading port and city are presented from an ideal, elevated viewpoint from the south. The city's layout can be seen as it slopes down to the sea. In the centre stands the Romanesque cathedral of San Lorenzo, built in the 13th century. Higher up the hillside lies the Palazzo Ducale, here still as a medieval complex from the 13th century. The approximately 80-m-high lighthouse (La Lanterna) on the left is another symbol of the city. The shipping volume underlines Genoa's economic importance in front of the port; the New World was discovered in 1492 by the Genoa born Columbus. 1407 saw the founding in Genoa of the Banco di San Giorgio, which lent money to various monarchs in the early modern era and thereby earned Genoa a crucial position within the network of Europe's ruling houses.

FLORENCE (FIRENZE):

CARTOUCHE: Florence is a distinguished city in Etruria, formerly called Fluentia because it lies on the stream of the River Arno. [...] Embellished with beautiful public and private buildings and surrounded by hills on all sides, Florence is the residence of famous men and the most fertile field for outstanding talents.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "For just as Venice is called the rich, Milan the great, Genoa the proud, Bologna the fertile, Ravenna the ancient, Naples the noble and Rome the holy city, so Florence is called the beautiful. It has magnificent churches, of which Santa Maria del Fiore is particularly wonderful: it is built of marble and beside it stands a tower, also of marble, quite magnificently furnished with bells."

The engraving shows Florence from the southwest. On the far side of the Arno, the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore with its impressive cupola (1418-1436) by Filippo Brunelleschi soars above the roofs of the densely packed houses. Visible in front of it is the bell tower, built from 1330 to designs by Giotto, and the Baptistery (11th-12th cent.) with its magnificent bronze doors by Andrea Pisano and Lorenzo Ghiberti (1330-1452). Behind it to the right, as a symbol of secular power, is the Palazzo Della Signoria (14th cent.), today known as the Palazzo Vecchio, with its 94-m-high tower. Florence was founded as a Roman colony in Caesar's day when it marked the intersection of two major trade routes. In the 14th and 15th centuries, it developed into a city of art and culture, attracting many artists and intellectuals, including Sandro Botticelli, Galileo Galilei, Leonardo de Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli. Under the rule of the Medici family, Florence also developed into an important centre of finance and trade. With a population of around 366,000, Florence is today the capital of Tuscany. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Genua Ligurum Domina [on sheet with] Florentia Urbs est Insignis Hetruariae, olim Fluentia Dicta.

€550  ($583 / £484)
add to cart
questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  28660 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Italy - Cities
References: Van der Krogt 4 - #1501 state 2; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p.112; Fauser - #4575 & #3927

Old, antique bird’s-eye view plan of Genua - Florence, by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Title: Genua Ligurum Domina [on sheet with] Florentia Urbs est Insignis Hetruariae, olim Fluentia Dicta.
Cum privilegio.

Date of the first edition: 1572.
Date of this map: 1582.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Map size: 330 x 480mm (12.99 x 18.9 inches).
Sheet size: 400 x 530mm (15.75 x 20.87 inches).
Verso: German text.
Condition: Original coloured, some staining and age discolouration.
Condition Rating: B+.
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1501, State 2; Taschen, Br. Hog., p.112; Fauser, #4575 & #3927

From: Beschreibung und Contrafactur der vornembster Stät der Welt. [Part 1] Cologne, Gottfried von Kempen, 1582. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:2.1)

GENOA (GENOVA):

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Genoa, mistress and queen of Liguria, an illustrious city in Italy, provides a safe anchorage for ships with her huge harbour on the coast of the Ligurian Sea. The city has poor and barren soil, which has produced shrewd and prudent merchants. These latter have raised it to such prosperity in goods and wealth that in all Italy, there is barely another city before whose gates lie so many country estates, built purely for leisure and with incredible pride. It can be judged from this that the Genoese parade their wealth ostentatiously: not without reason does the city [...] bear the epithet "the proud".

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Genoa, the capital of Liguria, is a powerful, proud and very ancient city. [...] It has an extremely fortified and safe harbour and is also famous for its honest merchants. It has produced excellent merchants who deal by water and land in all things in all periods. [...] It currently recognizes the King of Spain as its supreme lord and is ruled by a duke appointed afresh every year."

Genova's trading port and city are presented from an ideal, elevated viewpoint from the south. The city's layout can be seen as it slopes down to the sea. In the centre stands the Romanesque cathedral of San Lorenzo, built in the 13th century. Higher up the hillside lies the Palazzo Ducale, here still as a medieval complex from the 13th century. The approximately 80-m-high lighthouse (La Lanterna) on the left is another symbol of the city. The shipping volume underlines Genoa's economic importance in front of the port; the New World was discovered in 1492 by the Genoa born Columbus. 1407 saw the founding in Genoa of the Banco di San Giorgio, which lent money to various monarchs in the early modern era and thereby earned Genoa a crucial position within the network of Europe's ruling houses.

FLORENCE (FIRENZE):

CARTOUCHE: Florence is a distinguished city in Etruria, formerly called Fluentia because it lies on the stream of the River Arno. [...] Embellished with beautiful public and private buildings and surrounded by hills on all sides, Florence is the residence of famous men and the most fertile field for outstanding talents.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "For just as Venice is called the rich, Milan the great, Genoa the proud, Bologna the fertile, Ravenna the ancient, Naples the noble and Rome the holy city, so Florence is called the beautiful. It has magnificent churches, of which Santa Maria del Fiore is particularly wonderful: it is built of marble and beside it stands a tower, also of marble, quite magnificently furnished with bells."

The engraving shows Florence from the southwest. On the far side of the Arno, the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore with its impressive cupola (1418-1436) by Filippo Brunelleschi soars above the roofs of the densely packed houses. Visible in front of it is the bell tower, built from 1330 to designs by Giotto, and the Baptistery (11th-12th cent.) with its magnificent bronze doors by Andrea Pisano and Lorenzo Ghiberti (1330-1452). Behind it to the right, as a symbol of secular power, is the Palazzo Della Signoria (14th cent.), today known as the Palazzo Vecchio, with its 94-m-high tower. Florence was founded as a Roman colony in Caesar's day when it marked the intersection of two major trade routes. In the 14th and 15th centuries, it developed into a city of art and culture, attracting many artists and intellectuals, including Sandro Botticelli, Galileo Galilei, Leonardo de Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli. Under the rule of the Medici family, Florence also developed into an important centre of finance and trade. With a population of around 366,000, Florence is today the capital of Tuscany. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and in 1612. The next volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.