's Hertogenbosch, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
Tshertogenbosch - Buscumducis oppidum ludo Literario, ... - Braun and Hogenberg.
Bird's-eye view of 's Hertogenbosch by Braun and Hogenberg..
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: The town of 's Hertogenbosch is known for its school and its belligerent populace, who raised their weapons more than once in the past against the people of Guelders. Here stands a magnificent church of Our Lady (Hadrianus Barlandus).
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "'s-Hertogenbosch takes its name from the woods and "bushes" that this place formerly possessed at the time of the Duke of Brabant; it is considered one of the four noblest towns in all of Brabant; it has a school, a large number of inhabitants and solid buildings and is considered important and noble on account of its valiant people. There is also a richly decorated church with a splendid clock here."
's-Hertogenbosch was granted a municipal charter in 1185 and in the late Middle Ages it was a market centre for farmers from the surrounding region, who traded here in linen spun from flax and cloth woven from wool. Besides having been a centre of the cloth industry, 's-Hertogenbosch was a distribution point for wine, fish and sandstone, and was of cultural significance: the painter Hieronymus Bosch lived and worked here and the humanist Georgius Macropedius, really Joris van Lanckfelt, was a teacher at the Latin school in 's-Hertogenbosch. Situated on a sandy ridge in the middle of marshes and strongly fortified, this strategically important city was for a long time considered impregnable. The Dutch Revolt in the 16th century put an end to the economic prosperity it enjoyed in the late Middle Ages. (Taschen)
Size: 11 x 48cm (4.3 x 18.7 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1786; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p. 57.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 1. Köln, 1572-1624. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.1)