Gouda by Braun & Hogenberg
Gouda, elegantiss. Hollandiae Opp. ad Isalam amnem, ubi Goudam flu. à quo Oppidum nomen habet, absorbet. 1585. - Braun & Hogenberg.
Bird's-eye view plan of Gouda by Braun and Hogenberg, with key to 34 locations.
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Gouda, a very elegant city in Holland, on the River IJssel, where it is joined by the Gouda, from which the city gets its name. 1585.
COMMENATRY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Gouda, the sixth among the Dutch cities, is by name and also in reality a golden city, whether one considers the favourable nature of the Dutch soil on which it is built, or the many advantages of the streams and rivers that irrigate it all about. [...] As a result of the East Indian sea trade there is no lack of grain either here or in other Dutch cities, just as the soil around Gouda does not produce flax and yet they have a great surplus of linen, as in earlier times, when England sent not cloth but wool, and it made woollen cloth just like other fine Dutch cities."
This is a bird's-eye view of the city from the south. In the foreground is the confluence of the Gouwe and the IJssel. Prominent features are the town hall (Stadthuys) and the Gothic Sint-Janskerk, the largest church in the Netherlands. Gouda lies in a polder that was created in the Middle Ages through the construction of dams and drainage systems. After being granted a municipal charter in 1272, the city developed into an important centre of trade. It was captured by the Watergeuzen in 1572 during the Dutch Revolt, and it played an important role in the assembly of the States-General. Around 1600 it still had a flourishing cloth industry, but suffered a decline in the 17th century. (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1599
Size: 33 x 48cm (12.8 x 18.7 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1588, state 1; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.290.
From: Liber quartus Urbium Praecipuarum totius Mundi. Cologne, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.4(1599))