This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#28641)

Lithuania by Willem Blaeu. 1643

The original of this map was made during the last decade of the sixteenth century by prince Nikolaj Krzystof Radziwill (Radvillas 1549-1616) and was a collaborative effort. Only the name of the draughtsman, Tomasz Makowski, is known. Alexandrowicz (1989) assumes that a first (now lost) printed state existed before 1604, of which the printing plate is no longer extant. The second plate of the map was engraved by Hessel Gerritsz and published by Blaeu. Blaeu changed the arrangement of the map sheets; he separated the map of the river Dniepr from the map of Lithuania. The first atlas edition (1631) has a printed Latin text on the back; from 1634, the map was included in the atlas without text on the back.


The Blaeus: Willem Janszoon, Cornelis & Joan

Willem Jansz. Blaeu and his son Joan Blaeu are the most widely known cartographic publishers of the seventeenth century.

Willem Jansz. (also written Guilielmus Janssonius) = Willem Janszoon Blaeu, was born in Uitgeest (Netherlands), near Alkmaar in 1571. He studied mathematics under Tycho Brahe and learned the theory and practice of astronomical observations and the art of instrument- and globe making.

In 1596 he came to Amsterdam where he settled down as a globe-, instrument- and map-maker. He published his first cartographic work (a globe) in 1599 and probably published his first printed map (a map of the Netherlands) in 1604. He specialized in maritime cartography and published the first edition of the pilot guide Het Licht der Zeevaert in 1608, and was appointed Hydrographer of the V.O.C. (United East India Company) in 1633. After thirty years of publishing books, wall maps, globes, charts and pilot guides, he brought out his first atlas, Atlas Appendix (1630). This was the beginning of the great tradition of atlas-making by the Blaeus.

In 1618 another mapmaker, bookseller and publisher, Johannes Janssonius established himself in Amsterdam next door to Blaeu's shop. It is no wonder that these two neighbours, who began accusing each other of copying and stealing their information, became fierce competitors who did not have a good word to say about each other. In about 1621 Willem Jansz. decided to put an end to the confusion between his name and his competitor's, and assumed his grandfather's sobriquet, 'blauwe Willem' ('blue Willem'), as the family name; thereafter he called himself Willem Jansz. Blaeu.

Willem Janszoon Blaeu died in 1638, leaving his prospering business to his sons, Cornelis and Joan. Of Cornelis we only know that his name occurs in the prefaces of books and atlases until c. 1645.

Joan Blaeu, born in Amsterdam, 1596, became partner in his father’s book trade and printing business. In 1638 he was appointed his father’s successor in the Hydrographic office of the V.O.C. His efforts culminated in the magnificent Atlas Major and the town-books of the Netherland and of Italy – works unsurpassed in history and in modern times, which gave eternal fame to the name of the Blaeus.

On February 23, 1672, a fire ruined the business. One year later, Dr. Joan Blaeu died. The fire of 1672 and the passing away of the director gave rise to a complete sale of the stock of the Blaeu House. Five public auctions dispersed the remaining books, atlases, copperplates, globes, etc., among many other map dealers and publishers in Amsterdam. The majority was acquired by a number of booksellers acting in partnership.

In the succeeding years, the remaining printing department was left in the hands of the Blaeu family until 1695 when also the inventory of the printing house was sold at a public auction. That meant the end of the Blaeus as a printing house of world renown.

back

Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae Caeterarumque Regionum illi Adiacentium Exacta Descriptio.

€7000  ($7490 / £5950)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  28641
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Eastern Europe
References: Van der Krogt 2 - 1730/I:2A; Schilder 4 - #29.5; Schilder 9 - #7.14

Old, antique wall map of Lithuania, by Willem Blaeu.

Title: Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae Caeterarumque Regionum illi Adiacentium Exacta Descriptio.
Amsterodami Excudebat Guilhelmus Janßonius sub signo Solarij deaurati. Anno 1613.
Sculptum apud Hesselum Gerardum.

Cartographer: Nikolaj Krzysztof Radziwill (1549-1616).
Engraver: Hessel Gerritsz.

Date of the first edition: 1631.
Date of this map: 1643.
Date on map: 1613.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Map size: 730 x 750mm (28.74 x 29.53 inches).
Sheet size: 840 x 780mm (33.07 x 30.71 inches).
Printed from two plates and two half plates, joined.
Verso: French text.
Condition: Original coloured, good copy.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 2, 1730 I-II:2A; Schilder 4, 29.5; Schilder 9, #7.14

From: Théâtre du Monde ou Nouvel Atlas. Première partie. J. Blaeu, 1643. (Van der Krogt 2, 211.1F)

The original of this map was made during the last decade of the sixteenth century by prince Nikolaj Krzystof Radziwill (Radvillas 1549-1616) and was a collaborative effort. Only the name of the draughtsman, Tomasz Makowski, is known. Alexandrowicz (1989) assumes that a first (now lost) printed state existed before 1604, of which the printing plate is no longer extant. The second plate of the map was engraved by Hessel Gerritsz and published by Blaeu. Blaeu changed the arrangement of the map sheets; he separated the map of the river Dniepr from the map of Lithuania. The first atlas edition (1631) has a printed Latin text on the back; from 1634, the map was included in the atlas without text on the back.


The Blaeus: Willem Janszoon, Cornelis & Joan

Willem Jansz. Blaeu and his son Joan Blaeu are the most widely known cartographic publishers of the seventeenth century.

Willem Jansz. (also written Guilielmus Janssonius) = Willem Janszoon Blaeu, was born in Uitgeest (Netherlands), near Alkmaar in 1571. He studied mathematics under Tycho Brahe and learned the theory and practice of astronomical observations and the art of instrument- and globe making.

In 1596 he came to Amsterdam where he settled down as a globe-, instrument- and map-maker. He published his first cartographic work (a globe) in 1599 and probably published his first printed map (a map of the Netherlands) in 1604. He specialized in maritime cartography and published the first edition of the pilot guide Het Licht der Zeevaert in 1608, and was appointed Hydrographer of the V.O.C. (United East India Company) in 1633. After thirty years of publishing books, wall maps, globes, charts and pilot guides, he brought out his first atlas, Atlas Appendix (1630). This was the beginning of the great tradition of atlas-making by the Blaeus.

In 1618 another mapmaker, bookseller and publisher, Johannes Janssonius established himself in Amsterdam next door to Blaeu's shop. It is no wonder that these two neighbours, who began accusing each other of copying and stealing their information, became fierce competitors who did not have a good word to say about each other. In about 1621 Willem Jansz. decided to put an end to the confusion between his name and his competitor's, and assumed his grandfather's sobriquet, 'blauwe Willem' ('blue Willem'), as the family name; thereafter he called himself Willem Jansz. Blaeu.

Willem Janszoon Blaeu died in 1638, leaving his prospering business to his sons, Cornelis and Joan. Of Cornelis we only know that his name occurs in the prefaces of books and atlases until c. 1645.

Joan Blaeu, born in Amsterdam, 1596, became partner in his father’s book trade and printing business. In 1638 he was appointed his father’s successor in the Hydrographic office of the V.O.C. His efforts culminated in the magnificent Atlas Major and the town-books of the Netherland and of Italy – works unsurpassed in history and in modern times, which gave eternal fame to the name of the Blaeus.

On February 23, 1672, a fire ruined the business. One year later, Dr. Joan Blaeu died. The fire of 1672 and the passing away of the director gave rise to a complete sale of the stock of the Blaeu House. Five public auctions dispersed the remaining books, atlases, copperplates, globes, etc., among many other map dealers and publishers in Amsterdam. The majority was acquired by a number of booksellers acting in partnership.

In the succeeding years, the remaining printing department was left in the hands of the Blaeu family until 1695 when also the inventory of the printing house was sold at a public auction. That meant the end of the Blaeus as a printing house of world renown.