Bolsward, Stavoren, Harlingen, Hindelopen by Braun & Hogenberg
Bolzvardia vetus in Frisia Foederis Anzae teurinicae Op. [on sheet with] Stavria, vulgo Stavere ... [and] Harlinga [and] Hindelop - Braun & Hogenberg.
Antique map with four bird's-eye view plans by Braun and Hogenberg: Bolsward, Stavoren, Harlingen and Hindelopen.
The four views are made after Jacob van Deventer.
CARTOUCHE: Bolsward, an old Hanseatic Frisian town.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Bolsward lies only one mile north of Sneek, and three miles from Leeuwarden. The fact that it is united with other brave and famous cities in the German Hanseatic League is evidence that it was considered to be an old and famous city in earlier times. Thus, in provincial diets and other assemblies in this region, it is considered to be the first after Leeuwarden and ranks second in dignity."
CARTOUCHE: Stavria, commonly known as Stavoren, a Frisian town situated at the narrowest part of the Southern Sea that bears the name Zuiderzee.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Stavoren, two miles from Sloten, lies on the banks of the Southern Sea [...]. It was once such a wealthy and handsome trade city that it was one of the chief cities in the German Hanseatic League. And although it lost its high status altogether many years ago, it still enjoys many privileges abroad."
This is a bird's-eye view of the town from the south. In the north a castle surrounded by a moat and four bastions can be seen, as can the church in the centre of the town. Stavoren is considered to be the oldest town in Friesland. It is a port and salt was exported from here as early as the 10th century; it was granted a municipal charter in 1060. In the 14th century little remained to show that it had once been prosperous; its temporary use as a naval base during the Guelders War did not lead to a lasting revival.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Harlingen lies at the entrance of the Zuiderzee, far to the north of the other sea towns [...]. It has a fine and well-fortified castle, together with a harbour that is very convenient for seafarers not only because of its width and capacity but also of the location of the town."
This is a bird's-eye view of the town from the south. The most prominent features are the castle surrounded by a moat, and the Romanesque Grote Kerk, which is to the southeast of the town, outside the walls. Harlingen was created from two dwelling mounds that are still distinctly recognizable. It was granted a municipal charter in 1234 and maintained commercial ties with Hamburg, Denmark and the Baltic countries, but it never joined the Hanseatic League. Harlingen became the last Frisian port with access to the North Sea after completion of the dam in 1932.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Hindeloopen is located not far from Stavoren and stretches into the sea like a promontory, exposed to the waves not just at a point but on all sides. The town is thus in perpetual danger of destruction, despite the effort put into the building of sturdy, broad and high embankments (thrown up to restrain the tempestuous sea and to protect the town and the neighbouring fields from its violence). This is a bird's-eye view from the south of the little town projecting into the sea; canals permit small boats to sail into the centre of it. It is known that there was a settlement here in the 8th century AD. The town was granted a municipal charter in 1372 and was one of the 11 Frisian cities. In the 14th century it was an important Hanseatic city, maintaining trade ties mainly with Scandinavia. These trade activities are indicated by the sailing ship anchored before the city. (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1599
Size: 36 x 44.5cm (14 x 17.3 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 541; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p. 292.
From: Liber quartus Urbium Praecipuarum totius Mundi. Cologne, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.4(1599))