This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#23223)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Antwerp, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. 1599

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Antwerp is a well-built and noted trade city in Brabant, which attracts many Germans, French, Italians, Spaniards, English and other nations. In this city there are beautiful, huge churches and houses, including in particular the church of Our Lady with a tall stone tower and the splendid, beautiful town hall. The venerable Hansa, the English and the Portuguese also own public buildings in which the merchants have their residences. In the church of St Michael is a magnificent monument and tomb for Isabella's husband, Charles, Duke of Burgundy. On 5 November 1567 the massive city wall was built with imposing blockhouses and bulwarks and surrounded by a large moat. Inside, comfortable houses inhabited by the occupying troops surround a broad square. In the middle stands a statue of the famous Duke of Alba made of gilt metal, cast at great expense on the orders of the King of Spain. Erected in memory of Ferdinand Alvarez of Toledo, Duke of Alba, Philip II of Spain's commander-in-chief in the Spanish Netherlands, as the King's most faithful servant, because after quelling the uprising and crushing the insurgents he upheld the faith, law and peace of the province. 

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city of Antwerp possesses all the vital necessities of life in abundance, as is also observed with wonder by the foreign merchants; here we find Spanish, French and Rhenish wines, a huge fish market with a great number of fresh sea and river fish, and also salted fish. Amongst the public buildings, the splendid town hall must be mentioned first, built in four years at considerable cost and with great skill, and made of a very striking marble brought here from far-off lands. ... In the heart of the city lies a square marketplace with a colonnade in which merchants can conduct their business. There is also a magnificent church here, dedicated to Our Lady, with an extremely tall tower of white marble." 

The two plan views (the second appeared in the 6th volume) show the Belgian port on the River Schelde from a bird's-eye perspective. The eye is struck by the star-shaped citadel built by the Duke of Alba on Antwerp's southern side, the defensive moat and the harbour serving the prosperous centre of commerce. The city centre is clearly recognizable with the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe cathedral (1), its town hall (24) behind it overlooking the Grote Markt and the fish market (17). The north tower of the Gothic cathedral is the city landmark. First mentioned in records in AD 726, Antwerp was granted its charter in 1291 and in 1315 became a Hansa town. The merchants' guilds relocated here and between 1347 and 1496 Antwerp's population grew from 5,000 to 50,000; by 1565 this figure is estimated to have reached 95,000. In the 16th century Antwerp was also an important centre of the arts and home to the leading printer and publisher north of the Alps, Christoffel Plantin. The prosperous metropolis attracted numerous artists (including Jan Brueghel the Elder, Peter Paul Rubens and Anthony van Dyck). But Antwerp, too, became embroiled in the Wars of Religion, and in 1585, the city was taken by the Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma. Countless Protestant merchants and craftsmen were subsequently driven out of the city, whose importance declined sharply as a result. (Taschen) 


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Anverpia, nobile in Brabantia oppidum, ...

SOLD

Item Number:  23223 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Belgium - Cities

Antique map - Bird's-eye view of Antwerp by Braun and Hogenberg.

Date of the first edition: 1572
Date of this map: 1599

Copper engraving
Size: 34 x 47.5cm (13.3 x 18.5 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 183; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.73.

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Liber Primus. Köln, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.1)

TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Antwerp is a well-built and noted trade city in Brabant, which attracts many Germans, French, Italians, Spaniards, English and other nations. In this city there are beautiful, huge churches and houses, including in particular the church of Our Lady with a tall stone tower and the splendid, beautiful town hall. The venerable Hansa, the English and the Portuguese also own public buildings in which the merchants have their residences. In the church of St Michael is a magnificent monument and tomb for Isabella's husband, Charles, Duke of Burgundy. On 5 November 1567 the massive city wall was built with imposing blockhouses and bulwarks and surrounded by a large moat. Inside, comfortable houses inhabited by the occupying troops surround a broad square. In the middle stands a statue of the famous Duke of Alba made of gilt metal, cast at great expense on the orders of the King of Spain. Erected in memory of Ferdinand Alvarez of Toledo, Duke of Alba, Philip II of Spain's commander-in-chief in the Spanish Netherlands, as the King's most faithful servant, because after quelling the uprising and crushing the insurgents he upheld the faith, law and peace of the province. 

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city of Antwerp possesses all the vital necessities of life in abundance, as is also observed with wonder by the foreign merchants; here we find Spanish, French and Rhenish wines, a huge fish market with a great number of fresh sea and river fish, and also salted fish. Amongst the public buildings, the splendid town hall must be mentioned first, built in four years at considerable cost and with great skill, and made of a very striking marble brought here from far-off lands. ... In the heart of the city lies a square marketplace with a colonnade in which merchants can conduct their business. There is also a magnificent church here, dedicated to Our Lady, with an extremely tall tower of white marble." 

The two plan views (the second appeared in the 6th volume) show the Belgian port on the River Schelde from a bird's-eye perspective. The eye is struck by the star-shaped citadel built by the Duke of Alba on Antwerp's southern side, the defensive moat and the harbour serving the prosperous centre of commerce. The city centre is clearly recognizable with the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe cathedral (1), its town hall (24) behind it overlooking the Grote Markt and the fish market (17). The north tower of the Gothic cathedral is the city landmark. First mentioned in records in AD 726, Antwerp was granted its charter in 1291 and in 1315 became a Hansa town. The merchants' guilds relocated here and between 1347 and 1496 Antwerp's population grew from 5,000 to 50,000; by 1565 this figure is estimated to have reached 95,000. In the 16th century Antwerp was also an important centre of the arts and home to the leading printer and publisher north of the Alps, Christoffel Plantin. The prosperous metropolis attracted numerous artists (including Jan Brueghel the Elder, Peter Paul Rubens and Anthony van Dyck). But Antwerp, too, became embroiled in the Wars of Religion, and in 1585, the city was taken by the Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma. Countless Protestant merchants and craftsmen were subsequently driven out of the city, whose importance declined sharply as a result. (Taschen) 


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

References: Van der Krogt 4 - 183; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p.73

Related items

Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Lucas Schnitzer.

Rare.
Andorff c. 1650
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Lucas Schnitzer.
[Item number: 7025]

€1450  ($1537 / £1232.5)
Mechelen, by Braun & Hogenberg.

Mechelen - Nitidissimae Civitatis Mechlineensis in meditullio Brabantiae sitae, exactis: delineatio 1581-88
Mechelen, by Braun & Hogenberg.
[Item number: 18002]

€400  ($424 / £340)
Antwerpen by D. Fassmann

Antwerpen. 1726
Antwerpen by D. Fassmann
[Item number: 5946]

€320  ($339.2 / £272)
The Marquisate of Antwerp, by Willem Blaeu.

Tertia Pars Brabantiae qua continetur Marchionat S.R.I. horum urbs primaria Antverpia. 1641-42
The Marquisate of Antwerp, by Willem Blaeu.
[Item number: 17537]

€500  ($530 / £425)
Antwerp (Antwerpen) by C. Merian.

Printed from two plates, joint as published. 1659
Antwerp (Antwerpen) by C. Merian.
[Item number: 20256]

€400  ($424 / £340)
Mechelen - Antwerpen, by Covens & Mortier.

Marchionatus Sacri Imperiit Dominii Mechelini Tabula 1721-41
Mechelen - Antwerpen, by Covens & Mortier.
[Item number: 23690]

€400  ($424 / £340)
Antwerp, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg, after G. Hoefnagel.

Antverpia 1596
Antwerp, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg, after G. Hoefnagel.
[Item number: 5602]

€1450  ($1537 / £1232.5)
Antwerpen by Visscher N. - Schut P.H.

Antwerpen. 1656
Antwerpen by Visscher N. - Schut P.H.
[Item number: 25371]

€750  ($795 / £637.5)
City Hall of Antwerp, by J. Blaeu.

Domus Senatoria Urbis Antverpiae. 1652
City Hall of Antwerp, by J. Blaeu.
[Item number: 25508]

€760  ($805.6 / £646)
Antwerpen by Pieter van der Aa

La Ville d'Anvers, en Brabant. c.1715
Antwerpen by Pieter van der Aa
[Item number: 11769]

€450  ($477 / £382.5)
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Frans Hogenberg.

Antwerpiae Nobiliss. totius Orbis Terrarum Emporii Typus. Anno.M.D.LXXXV. (1585). c. 1586
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 8017]

€300  ($318 / £255)
Antwerpen by Lodovico Guicciardini.

Anvers. 1567
Antwerpen by Lodovico Guicciardini.
[Item number: 28175]

€380  ($402.8 / £323)
Antwerpen - Citadel, by Joan Blaeu.

Arx Antverpensis. 1652
Antwerpen - Citadel, by Joan Blaeu.
[Item number: 28896]

€350  ($371 / £297.5)
Antwerp, by Nicolaes Visscher I.

Marchionatus Sacri Romani Imperii. 1656-80
Antwerp, by Nicolaes Visscher I.
[Item number: 28974]

€1500  ($1590 / £1275)
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Joan Blaeu.

Antverpia; Gallis Anvers. Vernacule Antwerpen. 1652
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Joan Blaeu.
[Item number: 29420]

€1800  ($1908 / £1530)