This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#5602)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Antwerp, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg, after G. Hoefnagel. 1596


COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city is in rich possession of that which belongs to the nourishment of the soul and the practice of the Christian religion. For it has 5 parish churches, 9 monasteries and nunneries, 8 chapels, 3 hospices, 24 houses of God. The Franciscan monastery is particularly famous and invested with a magnificent library, which was plundered in the wars gone by, however. [...] In the very centre of the city is a large square called the Bourse, which is lined with magnificent columns supporting the covered colonnade and which is very skilfully vaulted: it looks as if it were panelled in wood. In the colonade there are all sorts of things for sale that are interesting to look at; the merchants meet here every day at certain times to trade their wares." 

The two plan views (the first appeared in the 1st volume) show the Belgian port on the River Schelde from a bird's-eye perspective. The eye is struck by the star-shaped citadel built by the Duke of Alba on Antwerp's southern side, the defensive moat and the harbour serving the prosperous centre of commerce. The city centre is clearly recognizable with the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe cathedral (1), its town hall (24) behind it overlooking the Grote Markt and the fish market (17). The north tower of the Gothic cathedral is the city landmark. First mentioned in records in AD 726, Antwerp was granted its charter in 1291 and in 1315 became a Hansa town. The merchants' guilds relocated here and between 1347 and 1496 Antwerp's population grew from 5,000 to 50,000; by 1565 this figure is estimated to have reached 95,000. In the 16th century Antwerp was also an important centre of the arts and home to the leading printer and publisher north of the Alps, Christoffel Plantin. The prosperous metropolis attracted numerous artists (including Jan Brueghel the Elder, Peter Paul Rubens and Anthony van Dyck). But Antwerp, too, became embroiled in the Wars of Religion, and in 1585, the city was taken by the Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma. Countless Protestant merchants and craftsmen were subsequently driven out of the city, whose importance declined sharply as a result. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Antverpia

€1450  ($1537 / £1232.5)

Currently not available

questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  5602 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Belgium - Cities

Old, antique map - Bird's-eye view plan of Antwerp by Braun and Hogenberg, after G. Hoefnagel,

With  key to locations.

Title: Antverpia

Date of the first edition: 1596.
Date of this map: 1596.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 455 x 785mm (17.91 x 30.91 inches).
Verso: Latin text.
Condition: Uncoloured, a few old reinforcements.
Condition Rating: .

From: Urbium Praecipuarum Mundi Theatrum Quintum Auctore Georgio Braunio Agrippinate. Part 5. Köln, 1596/97. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.5)


COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city is in rich possession of that which belongs to the nourishment of the soul and the practice of the Christian religion. For it has 5 parish churches, 9 monasteries and nunneries, 8 chapels, 3 hospices, 24 houses of God. The Franciscan monastery is particularly famous and invested with a magnificent library, which was plundered in the wars gone by, however. [...] In the very centre of the city is a large square called the Bourse, which is lined with magnificent columns supporting the covered colonnade and which is very skilfully vaulted: it looks as if it were panelled in wood. In the colonade there are all sorts of things for sale that are interesting to look at; the merchants meet here every day at certain times to trade their wares." 

The two plan views (the first appeared in the 1st volume) show the Belgian port on the River Schelde from a bird's-eye perspective. The eye is struck by the star-shaped citadel built by the Duke of Alba on Antwerp's southern side, the defensive moat and the harbour serving the prosperous centre of commerce. The city centre is clearly recognizable with the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe cathedral (1), its town hall (24) behind it overlooking the Grote Markt and the fish market (17). The north tower of the Gothic cathedral is the city landmark. First mentioned in records in AD 726, Antwerp was granted its charter in 1291 and in 1315 became a Hansa town. The merchants' guilds relocated here and between 1347 and 1496 Antwerp's population grew from 5,000 to 50,000; by 1565 this figure is estimated to have reached 95,000. In the 16th century Antwerp was also an important centre of the arts and home to the leading printer and publisher north of the Alps, Christoffel Plantin. The prosperous metropolis attracted numerous artists (including Jan Brueghel the Elder, Peter Paul Rubens and Anthony van Dyck). But Antwerp, too, became embroiled in the Wars of Religion, and in 1585, the city was taken by the Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma. Countless Protestant merchants and craftsmen were subsequently driven out of the city, whose importance declined sharply as a result. (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

References: Van der Krogt 4 - 184 state 4; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p. 431

Related items

Antwerpen Eiermarkt by Granello L.

Vue du Marché aux oeufs, à Anvers - View of the egg Market at Antwerp. c. 1846
Antwerpen Eiermarkt by Granello L.
[Item number: 21811]

€250  ($265 / £212.5)
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Lucas Schnitzer.

Rare.
Andorff c. 1650
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Lucas Schnitzer.
[Item number: 7025]

€1450  ($1537 / £1232.5)
Antwerpen - Mechelen by Visscher N. II.

Tetrarchiae Antverpiensis Pars Meridionalis 1683-1696
Antwerpen - Mechelen by Visscher N. II.
[Item number: 14777]

€460  ($487.6 / £391)
Mechelen, by Braun & Hogenberg.

Mechelen - Nitidissimae Civitatis Mechlineensis in meditullio Brabantiae sitae, exactis: delineatio 1581-88
Mechelen, by Braun & Hogenberg.
[Item number: 18002]

€400  ($424 / £340)
Hanse (Antwerp), by Lodovico Guicciardini.

Domus Hansae Teutonicae - Sacri Romani Imperi. 1612
Hanse (Antwerp), by Lodovico Guicciardini.
[Item number: 18160]

€180  ($190.8 / £153)
Antwerpen by D. Fassmann

Antwerpen. 1726
Antwerpen by D. Fassmann
[Item number: 5946]

€320  ($339.2 / £272)
The Marquisate of Antwerp, by Willem Blaeu.

Tertia Pars Brabantiae qua continetur Marchionat S.R.I. horum urbs primaria Antverpia. 1641-42
The Marquisate of Antwerp, by Willem Blaeu.
[Item number: 17537]

€500  ($530 / £425)
Antwerp (Antwerpen) by C. Merian.

Printed from two plates, joint as published. 1659
Antwerp (Antwerpen) by C. Merian.
[Item number: 20256]

€400  ($424 / £340)
Antwerp Cathedral (Antwerpen Kathedraal), by Granello L.

Antwerp Cathedral - Cathédrale d'Anvers c. 1846
Antwerp Cathedral (Antwerpen Kathedraal), by Granello L.
[Item number: 21821]

€250  ($265 / £212.5)
Antwerpen Groenplaats by Granello L.

Vue de la Place Verte à Anvers. - View of the Place Verte at Antwerp. c. 1846
Antwerpen Groenplaats by Granello L.
[Item number: 21826]

€300  ($318 / £255)
Mechelen - Antwerpen, by Covens & Mortier.

Marchionatus Sacri Imperiit Dominii Mechelini Tabula 1721-41
Mechelen - Antwerpen, by Covens & Mortier.
[Item number: 23690]

€400  ($424 / £340)
Antwerpen by Visscher N. - Schut P.H.

Antwerpen. 1656
Antwerpen by Visscher N. - Schut P.H.
[Item number: 25371]

€750  ($795 / £637.5)
City Hall of Antwerp, by J. Blaeu.

Domus Senatoria Urbis Antverpiae. 1652
City Hall of Antwerp, by J. Blaeu.
[Item number: 25508]

€760  ($805.6 / £646)
Antwerpen by Pieter van der Aa

La Ville d'Anvers, en Brabant. c.1715
Antwerpen by Pieter van der Aa
[Item number: 11769]

€450  ($477 / £382.5)
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Frans Hogenberg.

Antwerpiae Nobiliss. totius Orbis Terrarum Emporii Typus. Anno.M.D.LXXXV. (1585). c. 1586
Antwerp (Antwerpen), by Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 8017]

€300  ($318 / £255)
Antwerpen by Lodovico Guicciardini.

Anvers. 1567
Antwerpen by Lodovico Guicciardini.
[Item number: 28175]

€380  ($402.8 / £323)
Antwerpen - Citadel, by Joan Blaeu.

Arx Antverpensis. 1652
Antwerpen - Citadel, by Joan Blaeu.
[Item number: 28896]

€350  ($371 / £297.5)
Antwerp, by Nicolaes Visscher I.

Marchionatus Sacri Romani Imperii. 1656-80
Antwerp, by Nicolaes Visscher I.
[Item number: 28974]

€1500  ($1590 / £1275)