This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#28891)

Prussia (Poland - Lithuania) by Frederick De Wit. c. 1697-1704

Frederick de Wit (1630-1706)

The engraver and map-seller, Frederick de Wit, was born in Gouda (Netherlands) in 1630 as a son of Hendrick Fredericksz de Wit. Through his marriage with Maria van der Waag of Amsterdam in 1661, he obtained citizenship of the city where he had been working since 1648 and where he became one of the most famous engravers of maps of the second half of the 17th century. Although De Wit was a Catholic, which meant that he was not favoured at the time by the city council, he was awarded the honour of being listed as one of the "excellent citizens" on the roll of the city council in the years 1694-1704. However, his name was not written in the Guild of St. Luke book before 1664. At that time, he lived on the Kalverstraat "in de Witte Pascaert", where he stayed until his death in 1706. His earliest dates on maps engraved are 1659 (Regni Daniae) and 1660 (Worldmap).

Frederick de Wit published several world atlases, a sea atlas, and an atlas of the Netherlands.

The dating of the maps is difficult. However, as a privilege was granted in 1689, the annotation 'cum privilegio' marks an edition after 1688.

Around 1700 Frederick de Wit entered the market with a town atlas. He produced two volumes with in total 260 plans and views. Most of these were printed from plates used for Janssonius and Blaeu town atlases, respectively.

After he died in 1706, his widow continued the shop until 1709. The plates and stock of De Wit's atlas were sold to Covens & Mortier in 1710, who sold the atlas for a long period.

back

Ducatus Prussiae tam Polono Regiae, quam Brandenburgo, correcta Descriptio, et Divisio Regiae scilicet in tres Palatinatus, et Ducalis in totidem Circulos, cim Utriusq. Subdivisione in Tractus minores.

€650  ($695.5 / £572)
add to cart
questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  28891
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Eastern Europe
References: Carhart de Wit (2016) - p. 329 #91.1

Old, antique map of Prussia (Poland - Lithuania) by Frederick De Wit.

Title: Ducatus Prussiae tam Polono Regiae, quam Brandenburgo, correcta Descriptio, et Divisio Regiae scilicet in tres Palatinatus, et Ducalis in totidem Circulos, cim Utriusq. Subdivisione in Tractus minores.
Auctore F. De Witt Amstelodami.
Cum Privilegio D.D. Ordinum Hollandiae et Westfrisiae.


Date: c. 1697-1704.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Map size: 460 x 590mm (18.11 x 23.23 inches).
Sheet size: 540 x 635mm (21.26 x 25 inches).
Verso: Blank.
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+.

From: De Wit Atlas. Amsterdam, c. 1691-97.

Frederick de Wit (1630-1706)

The engraver and map-seller, Frederick de Wit, was born in Gouda (Netherlands) in 1630 as a son of Hendrick Fredericksz de Wit. Through his marriage with Maria van der Waag of Amsterdam in 1661, he obtained citizenship of the city where he had been working since 1648 and where he became one of the most famous engravers of maps of the second half of the 17th century. Although De Wit was a Catholic, which meant that he was not favoured at the time by the city council, he was awarded the honour of being listed as one of the "excellent citizens" on the roll of the city council in the years 1694-1704. However, his name was not written in the Guild of St. Luke book before 1664. At that time, he lived on the Kalverstraat "in de Witte Pascaert", where he stayed until his death in 1706. His earliest dates on maps engraved are 1659 (Regni Daniae) and 1660 (Worldmap).

Frederick de Wit published several world atlases, a sea atlas, and an atlas of the Netherlands.

The dating of the maps is difficult. However, as a privilege was granted in 1689, the annotation 'cum privilegio' marks an edition after 1688.

Around 1700 Frederick de Wit entered the market with a town atlas. He produced two volumes with in total 260 plans and views. Most of these were printed from plates used for Janssonius and Blaeu town atlases, respectively.

After he died in 1706, his widow continued the shop until 1709. The plates and stock of De Wit's atlas were sold to Covens & Mortier in 1710, who sold the atlas for a long period.