This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#24426)

Rheinland-Pfalz by Frederik De Wit. c. 1680

Frederick de Wit (1630-1706)

The engraver and map-seller, Frederick de Wit, was born at Gouda (Netherlands) in 1630 as a son of Hendrick Fredericksz de Wit. Through his marriage with Maria van der Waag of Amsterdam in 1661, he obtained the citizenship of the city where he had been working since 1648 and where he became one of the most famous engravers of maps of the second half of the 17th century. Although De Wit was a Catholic, which meant that he was not favoured at the time by the city-council, he was awarded the honour of being listed as one of the "excellent citizen" on the roll of the city council in the years 1694-1704. His name was not written in the book of the Guild of St. Luke before 1664. At that time, he already lived on the Kalverstraat "in de Witte Pascaert", where he stayed until his death in 1706. The earliest dates on maps engraved by him are 1659 (Regni Daniae) and 1660 (Worldmap).

Frederick de Wit published a number of world atlases, a sea atlas, and an atlas of the Netherlands.

The dating of the maps is difficult. As a privilege was granted in 1689, the annotation 'cum privilegio' marks an edition after 1688.

Around 1700 Frederick de Wit entered the market with a town atlas. He produced two volumes with in total 260 plans and views. The majority of these were printed from plates used for the town atlases of Janssonius and Blaeu, respectively.

After his death in 1706, his widow continued the shop until 1709. The plates and stock of De Wit's atlas were sold to Covens & Mortier, in 1710, who sold the atlas for a long period.

back

Electoratus et Palatinatus Rheni Episcopatuum Spirensis et Wormacensis Ducatuum Bipontii et Simmerae et Comitatuum Sponheimensis Veldensis Leiningensis Bircofeldensis et Rhenograviorum etc.

€320  ($320 / £268.8)
add to cart
questions?

Item Number:  24426
Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Germany

Old, antique map of Rheinland-Pfalz, by Frederik de Wit.

Title: Electoratus et Palatinatus Rheni Episcopatuum Spirensis et Wormacensis Ducatuum Bipontii et Simmerae et Comitatuum Sponheimensis Veldensis Leiningensis Bircofeldensis et Rhenograviorum etc.
Nova Tabula Accurate Descripta et edita per F. De Wit.
Amstelodami ex Pfficina F. de Wit
cum Privilegio Potentiß. D.D. Ordinum Hollandiae et Westfrisie.

Date of the first edition: c 1680.
Date of this map: c. 1680.

Copper engraving, printed on paper.
Size (not including margins): 470 x 585mm (18.5 x 23.03 inches).
Verso: Blank.
Condition: Original coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+.

From: Composite Atlas by F. De Wit, c. 1680.

Frederick de Wit (1630-1706)

The engraver and map-seller, Frederick de Wit, was born at Gouda (Netherlands) in 1630 as a son of Hendrick Fredericksz de Wit. Through his marriage with Maria van der Waag of Amsterdam in 1661, he obtained the citizenship of the city where he had been working since 1648 and where he became one of the most famous engravers of maps of the second half of the 17th century. Although De Wit was a Catholic, which meant that he was not favoured at the time by the city-council, he was awarded the honour of being listed as one of the "excellent citizen" on the roll of the city council in the years 1694-1704. His name was not written in the book of the Guild of St. Luke before 1664. At that time, he already lived on the Kalverstraat "in de Witte Pascaert", where he stayed until his death in 1706. The earliest dates on maps engraved by him are 1659 (Regni Daniae) and 1660 (Worldmap).

Frederick de Wit published a number of world atlases, a sea atlas, and an atlas of the Netherlands.

The dating of the maps is difficult. As a privilege was granted in 1689, the annotation 'cum privilegio' marks an edition after 1688.

Around 1700 Frederick de Wit entered the market with a town atlas. He produced two volumes with in total 260 plans and views. The majority of these were printed from plates used for the town atlases of Janssonius and Blaeu, respectively.

After his death in 1706, his widow continued the shop until 1709. The plates and stock of De Wit's atlas were sold to Covens & Mortier, in 1710, who sold the atlas for a long period.