This product is successfully added to your cart
Questions about this product? (#16487)

Authenticity Guarantee
All items are guaranteed authentic prints (woodcuts or engravings) or manuscripts made at or about (c.) the given date and in good condition unless stated otherwise. We don’t sell facsimiles or reproductions. We deliver every map with a Certificate of Authenticity containing all the details.

Sevilla - Gerena, by Braun & Hogenberg. 1596-1640

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Not far from Seville lies San Juan de Aznalfarache with the ancient ruined walls of a huge palace. The site lies on a hill on the River Bétis, called the Guadalquivir from the Arabic, meaning big river. Even today, simple brick-vaulted tombs are often uncovered by the daily ploughing of the fields in front of Seville. When they still ruled Hispania, the Moors built other such towers out of brick with such artistry that anyone who sees them must be astonished."

The plate illustrates three sites near Seville, framed on either side by views of the Giralda, the famous bell tower of Seville cathedral. Still, the city's most familiar landmark, the Giralda, is shown on the left in a façade view, while on the right, a cut-away view reveals the tower's internal staircase, a ramp that could be ridden up on horseback. The Giralda was originally the minaret of the Mezquita Major, commenced in 1172. After the Reconquista, however, the Moorish mosque was replaced by the cathedral of Santa Maria de la Juan de Aznalfarache, southwest of Seville. During the Muslim Al-Andalus period (from the 8th cent. onwards), it was called Hisn-al-Faray, which means "castle with a view" and is the origin of today's Aznalfarache. The castle in question was built in 1196/97. In 1248, after being reconquered from the Moors, the site passed to the Order of St John (San Juan) of Jerusalem, hence the first part of the town's name. The middle view shows the hilltop village of Gerena, northwest of Seville. The city goes back to a Roman settlement, and many Roman remains are still to be found there. These include sections of an aqueduct, which carried water to the Roman city of Italica. The aqueduct and the ruins of Italica are probably the subjects of the lower view. Italica was founded in 206 BC by Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus and was used as a quarry after the arrival of the Moors in 711. As a vanitas motif above the tombs, Hoefnagel has included an antique motto taken from the Appendix Vergiliana and widespread within humanism: Vivitur ingenio caetera mortis erunt - "Genius live on, all else is mortal." (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

back

Sant Juan del Foratche [on sheet with] Jerenna ...

€760  ($820.8 / £646)
add to cart
Buy now
questions?
PRINT

Item Number:  16487 Authenticity Guarantee

Category:  Antique maps > Europe > Spain and Portugal

5 views of San Juan on Guadalquivir, Gerena, 3 Roman tombs, & towers at side, one cutaway showing Hoefnagel ascending on horseback. Engraved after a drawing by Georg Hoefnagel, 1565.

Copper engraving
Size: 38 x 49cm (14.8 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Lower centrefold split reinforced, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 3849, State 1 (With Hoefnagel's name); Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.350

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 5. Köln, 1598.

COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Not far from Seville lies San Juan de Aznalfarache with the ancient ruined walls of a huge palace. The site lies on a hill on the River Bétis, called the Guadalquivir from the Arabic, meaning big river. Even today, simple brick-vaulted tombs are often uncovered by the daily ploughing of the fields in front of Seville. When they still ruled Hispania, the Moors built other such towers out of brick with such artistry that anyone who sees them must be astonished."

The plate illustrates three sites near Seville, framed on either side by views of the Giralda, the famous bell tower of Seville cathedral. Still, the city's most familiar landmark, the Giralda, is shown on the left in a façade view, while on the right, a cut-away view reveals the tower's internal staircase, a ramp that could be ridden up on horseback. The Giralda was originally the minaret of the Mezquita Major, commenced in 1172. After the Reconquista, however, the Moorish mosque was replaced by the cathedral of Santa Maria de la Juan de Aznalfarache, southwest of Seville. During the Muslim Al-Andalus period (from the 8th cent. onwards), it was called Hisn-al-Faray, which means "castle with a view" and is the origin of today's Aznalfarache. The castle in question was built in 1196/97. In 1248, after being reconquered from the Moors, the site passed to the Order of St John (San Juan) of Jerusalem, hence the first part of the town's name. The middle view shows the hilltop village of Gerena, northwest of Seville. The city goes back to a Roman settlement, and many Roman remains are still to be found there. These include sections of an aqueduct, which carried water to the Roman city of Italica. The aqueduct and the ruins of Italica are probably the subjects of the lower view. Italica was founded in 206 BC by Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus and was used as a quarry after the arrival of the Moors in 711. As a vanitas motif above the tombs, Hoefnagel has included an antique motto taken from the Appendix Vergiliana and widespread within humanism: Vivitur ingenio caetera mortis erunt - "Genius live on, all else is mortal." (Taschen)


Braun G. & Hogenberg F. and the Civitates Orbis Terrarum.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the "Braun & Hogenberg", is a six-volume town atlas and the most excellent book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. Many plates were engraved after the original drawings of a professional artist, a professional artist, Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600). The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, and the sixth in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel made those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographers Daniel Freese and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, seven further editions of 1575, 1577, 1582, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1612 can be identified. Vol.2, first issued in 1575, was followed by further editions in 1597 and 1612. The subsequent volumes appeared in 1581, 1588, 1593, 1599 and 1606. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on, and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

Georg Braun (1541-1622)

Georg Braun was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne, he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. 1561, he obtained his bachelor's degree, and in 1562, he received his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590)

Frans Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg.

By the end of the 1560s, Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named an engraver of numerous maps. In 1568, he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates, published in 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Thanks to large-scale projects like the Geschichtsblätter and the Civitates, Hogenberg's social circumstances improved with each passing year. He died as a wealthy man in Cologne in 1590.

References: Van der Krogt 4 - 3849; Taschen (Br. Hog.) - p.350

Related items

Alhama de Granada by Braun & Hogenberg

Alhama. 1575-1612
Alhama de Granada by Braun & Hogenberg
[Item number: 17930]

€340  ($367.2 / £289)
Coimbra by Braun & Hogenberg.

Illustris Civitati Conimbriae In Lusitania ad flumen Illundam effigies. 1596-1640
Coimbra by Braun & Hogenberg.
[Item number: 21345]

€650  ($702 / £552.5)
Toledo & Valladolid by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Toletum [on sheet with] Vallisoletum ... Nobilis. Totius Hispania Oppidum 1572-1624
Toledo & Valladolid by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 2067]

€550  ($594 / £467.5)
Archidona and the mountain

La Penna de los Enamorados - Archidona 1596
Archidona and the mountain "La Peña de los Enamorados" by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 21364]

€320  ($345.6 / £272)
Ardales & Cartama by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Hardales [on sheet with] Cartama. 1596
Ardales & Cartama by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 229]

€380  ($410.4 / £323)
Alhama de Granada by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg

Alhama 1593
Alhama de Granada by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg
[Item number: 14714]

€360  ($388.8 / £306)
Antique map of Seville (Sevilla) - Cadiz - Malaga by Braun & Hogenberg

Sevilla, Hispalis ... [on sheet with] Cadiz [and] Malaga. 1572-1624
Antique map of Seville (Sevilla) - Cadiz - Malaga by Braun & Hogenberg
[Item number: 22685]

€470  ($507.6 / £399.5)
Vejer de la Frontera and Vélez-Málaga, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Vegel [on sheet with] Velis Malaga. 1575-1612
Vejer de la Frontera and Vélez-Málaga, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 14895]

€480  ($518.4 / £408)
Antiquera, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Antequera 1597
Antiquera, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 23958]

€350  ($378 / £297.5)
Palacios - Alcantarilla - Cabecas by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.

Palacios [on sheet with:] Alcanerilla [and] Cabecas. 1623
Palacios - Alcantarilla - Cabecas by Georg Braun & Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 103]

€300  ($324 / £255)
Cordoba, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Corduba. c. 1625
Cordoba, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 16385]

€1100  ($1188 / £935)
Los Palacios y Villafranca - Las Alcantarillas - Las Cabezas de San Juan, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Palacios [on sheet with:] Alcanerilla [and] Cabecas. c. 1610
Los Palacios y Villafranca - Las Alcantarillas - Las Cabezas de San Juan, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 16715]

€400  ($432 / £340)
Loja, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.

Loxa 1593
Loja, by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg.
[Item number: 14706]

€340  ($367.2 / £289)
Seville (Sevilla) - Cadiz - Malaga, by Braun & Hogenberg.

Sevilla, Hispalis ... [on sheet with] Cadiz [and] Malaga. 1582
Seville (Sevilla) - Cadiz - Malaga, by Braun & Hogenberg.
[Item number: 25496]

€480  ($518.4 / £408)
Andalucia - Sevilla, by A. Ortelius.

Hispalensis Conventus Delineatio. 1601
Andalucia - Sevilla, by A. Ortelius.
[Item number: 5730]

€470  ($507.6 / £399.5)
Sevilla, by N. Visscher & P.H. Schut.

Sevilla. 1658/60
Sevilla, by N. Visscher & P.H. Schut.
[Item number: 26630]

€450  ($486 / £382.5)